Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA Moves and building an address-space.

Hello!
Prior to hardware arriving, I'd like to test some code. The hardware will provide access to "reflective memory" which, from the looks of the drivers, is "just some address space" accessed as a VISA resource using VISA moves - such as "VISA Move Out 32". My questions is, might it be possible to generate a VISA resource which refers to my development-machines RAM? This would allow me to do some debugging without having the hardware.

Thanks in advance,
Bill C.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,026 Views)
Hi Bill,

Here is a document that mentions how to manipulate memory using the PXI0::MEMACC. Check the section on DMAs :Developing a LabVIEW Real-Time Driver for a PXI or Compact PCI Device

What hardware are you going to be using?. What programing enviroment are you using?.

DiegoF
National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,026 Views)
Bill:

Are you using PCI/PXI cards, VME cards, VXI cards? If the device is VME, you can use NI-VXI to create a static profile for the device. For other buses, you cannot create static/virtual devices, since they are both plug-and-play architectures.

In any case, you won't get anywhere near as far as you want to go. NI-VISA doesn't have simulation, so you most likely won't be able to open the device (in the plug-and-play bus case). If you are able to (eg, VME in the above case), every VISA Move access will return an error (eg, VME bus error). I don't think you'll find this helpful.

The other comment on this page allows you to access only the memory that you allocate on your own machine. You can ensure that your VISA Move code will run, but the add
ress space you use for the allocated memory is different than the ones you would use for the actual device's memory (eg, A16/24/32 space for VME/VXI or BAR0-5 for PCI/PXI).

Dan Mondrik
Senior Software Engineer, NI-VISA
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,026 Views)