Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB errors

Hi

I have posted a message regarding this in the past,however I have still not found a solution. So hopefully someone can help me this time! I am using a PCI-GPIB card with Windows 2000 and Labview 7.0.

I have an Elliot Scientific instrument that I am trying to write to and read from. Everything is working fine from the IBIC control. However, in labview (using the example GPIB.vi given) I am gettting intermittant errors..that is my program works a number of times and then reports an error. I have tried extending the timeouts but the problem persists. I think what is happening is that the GPIB board is taking on the address of my device, as when I use ibpad 0 in IBIC I get a previous value of 4, which is the address of my device (see attached Spy file).

I have attached the Labview program I am using, the Spy file of the program working a number of times and then reporting an error and the spy file of the gpib controller with the address of my device.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,480 Views)
Sorry, can't seem to get my files to attach!! Can somebody let me know how to do this ...after you have selected your file to attach..I can't see how to attach it ..there's no upload or attach button
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,468 Views)
Hello

To add an attachment, reply to this post. Under the message body section in the reply screen is an attachment section. Click on the browse button to add a file.

Regards
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,439 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,438 Views)
You should NOT be using the GPIB Initialization with the same address as the instrument you're trying to communicate with. You are telling the instrument to be the system controller. I can't believe that it works at all. Delete the init function altogether and try it. I don't think you really need the ReceiveSetup either. The example you copied didn't use either of them.

Also, the original example is really old and I'm not sure it's the best one. Unless you have automatic error handling on, you should wire the error in/error out connections and have an error indicator on your front panel.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,428 Views)