Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB Enet100 and IPv6

We have an application that uses the NI libraries to communicate with an ENET 100 on our network.  We are looking at moving to an IPv6 network, and are trying to find out if the ENET100 will still be addressable.  The GPIB explorer window that takes in an IP/hostname is just a text box, so I can't really tell from there.  Has anybody tried this with IPv6?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,007 Views)

Currently you can only configure GPIB-ENET/100 devices using "dotted quad notation"; you do not have the ability to specify an extended, larger IP address like you would be able to on a IPv6 network.  Because of this, if your network will be communicating solely via IPv6, I don't see this working.  If you will be on some kind of dual network that allows both IPv4 and IPv6 you may be able to still communicate with the GPIB-ENET/100s, however you will need to check with your IT professionals to find out whether or not your system will allow for the IPv4 dotted quad IP addresses.

Otherwise, echoing Chris' question, has anyone out there tried this?

Logan S.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,995 Views)
This hasn't been tested.  I have limited knowledge off the top of my head about IPv6, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a provision for using both IPv4 and IPv6 on the same network segment.  If so, then the GPIB-ENET/100 could use this mechanism, but that's all.  It's not "IPv6 aware".

I'm curious about all the information you can give me regarding why you're thinking about switching to IPv6.  Perhaps we will consider this as a feature in the future.

Scott B.
GPIB Software
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,991 Views)