Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version Conversion Board New Message

Solved!
Go to solution

The Version Conversion board forces somebody to search for an exceptable solution before posting a new thread.  That board should not do that as it encourages people to add on to previously solved threads.  I didn't have to go through that in order to create this thread.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 1 of 5
(6,937 Views)

I saw at the top of the Idea Exchange that the setting to force the search was turned on for new ideas.  Maybe the setting got turned on for the Version Conversion board by mistake.

It certainly is a mistake because we already have enough people tacking messages onto the end of old threads.  Forcing a search pretty much guarantees that will happen.

Message 2 of 5
(6,926 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

I saw at the top of the Idea Exchange that the setting to force the search was turned on for new ideas.  Maybe the setting got turned on for the Version Conversion board by mistake.

That appears to be what happened.  I just mocked putting up a new idea and there was no search done before getting to type up my (non existant) idea.

But I was thinking about this while shaving this morning (I don't know why, random thoughts constantly bombard my mind).  It would be nice for the Version Conversion board to have a different format for creating a new request.  First of all, the button should be something like "New Conversion Request" instead of "New Message".  But then that button should take you to a new page that has 2 drop downs (for LabVIEW Version From and LabVIEW Version To) and a place for attaching code.  Put in notes that the file limit is 3 files and X MB and advise zipping up the code and posting the zip file.  MAKE THE ATTACHED FILE REQUIRED.  I guess there should probably be another field (optional) for general comments.  So then this new page can autogenerate a topic name based on the two drop downs.  We will get consistant topic names so we know exactly what needs done and it will be much easier for a new user of the board.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 3 of 5
(6,915 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author crossrulz

You should now be able to post to the Version Conversion board without being forced to search before you post. And yes, searching the idea exchange before posting was turned on. This is in an attempt to cut down on the number of duplicate ideas that are posted.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions around the Version Conversion board, crossrulz. Currently we don't have that capability to customize the version conversion board with the suggested features, but I will communicate some of those ideas to our platform vendor.

Jordan

Message 4 of 5
(6,899 Views)

@JordanG wrote:

You should now be able to post to the Version Conversion board without being forced to search before you post. And yes, searching the idea exchange before posting was turned on. This is in an attempt to cut down on the number of duplicate ideas that are posted.

Just now tested this and there is no more search for the Version Conversion board.  But there also is no search for the LabVIEW Idea Exchange.  I didn't try to other Idea Exchange boards.

JordanG wrote:Thanks for the feedback and suggestions around the Version Conversion board, crossrulz. Currently we don't have that capability to customize the version conversion board with the suggested features, but I will communicate some of those ideas to our platform vendor.

I thought it would be a long shot at this point.  But still had to throw it out there.  But can you at least change the "New Message" name to alleviate some of the confusion.  I'm pretty sure you have that capability since the Idea Exchange has "New Idea" for the new message button.

And I would just like to throw out a great big huge thank you to Jordan and the rest of the NI community crew.  You guys to a good job keeping this community running.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,890 Views)