Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Board For Upconvert/Downconvert

Solved!
Go to solution
The convert request threads are really getting big. If there was a dedicated board then each request could get it's own thread. Sometimes it is necessary for discussion about specific requests and this would keep it together so it is less confusing. Although I have not participated in the threads I might be more likely to if they had a dedicated board.
=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 1 of 12
(7,867 Views)

One more thing. I always get email updates for threads that I participate in. I get a lot of those and if I were to participate in the upconvert/downconvert threads I would get email for any activity. With a dedicated board I would only get an email when there is a response to a request that I made.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(7,851 Views)
You can choose to skip email notification for individual threads. How do I know this? Guess the two times I have done this.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(7,842 Views)

Yes, I am aware of that. Wouldn't it be nice if the requests were each in their own thread on a dedicated board so you wouldn't have to make those two exceptions?

The problem I see is that there would be a lot of threads with the same title like 'Please convert this to LV8.6'. I assume that they would still be threaded separately though.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(7,836 Views)

@Steve Chandler wrote:

Yes, I am aware of that. Wouldn't it be nice if the requests were each in their own thread on a dedicated board ...

Exactly! And each converted thread can be marked as solved as soon as the original poster is happy with the conversion. Much cleaner than one of those endless thread worms with interlaced topics.

Also, since code in that thread is often not really meant for others, threads could expire e.g. a month after being marked as solved.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(7,829 Views)

I am actually somewhat down with the idea, just pointing out a way to save A LOT of spamming once you have done your civic duty and converted someones VIs.

In the big picture, is this really an effective way to do this?  I run my own makeshift web conversion utilizing my DropBox account, so a real web server version would be simple.  I would even suggest that you get a small number of conversions for free (based on number and size of VIs), and then a token charge for heavy users.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(7,824 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author SteveChandler

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

The new Version Conversion board has been created! All requests for conversion (up or down) should now be directed here instead of the Upconvert and Downconvert threads. For now, deletion requests should be reported to a moderator. We will revisit adding in this functionality depending on the volume of requests.

Thanks again for your input on how to make the Forums better!

Jordan

Message 7 of 12
(7,704 Views)
Any thoughts of moving the old threads so a search puts you on the right board?
Message 8 of 12
(7,661 Views)

@Darin.K wrote:
Any thoughts of moving the old threads so a search puts you on the right board?

Can that be done without breaking links to attachments and embedded pictures?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(7,654 Views)

The original threads are still receiving traffic apparently.  Just to echo some suggestions from here:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Downconvert-VI-Requests/m-p/1856779#M631519

I would still like the threads moved to help with searches, if a few things are broken it does not strike me as a huge loss in this case.  At least the original threads should be locked, and the original posts edited to reflect the new procedure.  Who is going to read through 140 pages to get the message?

Message 10 of 12
(7,603 Views)