Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffer depth on the USB-6509

Support,

I did not find the buffer depth listed in the USB-6509 specification. What is the depth of the buffer behind each I/O channel on this instrument. I need to run 96 channels with 500 bits per channel in parallel I want to understand if it will buffer this number of bits from PC to USB to 6509 all at once before the StartTask or will it have to buffer numerous times to complete the 500 parallel bits. I assume if the buffer size is less than 500 bits it would impact execution time since it would have to reload a smaller buffer some number of times to complete the task.

Thanks,

Jack

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,530 Views)
Can you explain what you need to do? The 6509 is software timed and if you are looking to output some sort of clocked pattern, it cannot be done. You'll never be able to exceed much more than 1khz and that will have considerable jitter between each write.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,518 Views)

I have 16 chains of 256 shift register bits that I need to write. I can run it at whatever speed the USB-6509 will handle. I'm just curious about the setup and how much buffer memory there is from the USB to the 96 digitial IO. I assume it has some memory between the USB IO  and the digital pins themselves. Based on the way the coding is done it appears it buffers the data array over to the 6509 and then it executes the task. I want to know how big the data arrray can be and not require multiple buffers of the the data array.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,491 Views)

As Dennis already said, that DIO is software timed.  There is no buffer on it.  It just outputs the values you gave it when you give them to it.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,488 Views)

Ok thanks. Software timed is fine for my use case. If I can get around 1KHz effective data rate I'm ok with that.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,482 Views)