Data Acquisition Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BertMcMahan

Create simulated version of real device by right-click in MAX

Often I need to create a simulated version of a real device in order to debug something. It would be nice if I could right-click on a real device in MAX and select "Create simulated version of this device", and it would create a simulated version of the device I'm running. This isn't so bad with standalone devices but it could make simulating modular devices easier and reduce the likelihood of a mis-click making an incorrect simulated device.

3 Comments
razzik

Check the tutorial "NI-DAQmx Simulated Devices"

Raz 🙂

BertMcMahan
Active Participant

razzik I understand how to create the simulated devices, the idea is to have a shortcut to duplicate a piece of physical hardware into a simulated one by right-clicking on it. When doing multi-slot cDAQ chassis it would save a few steps to just right click and pick "Duplicate as simulated device" than to have to create a new empty chassis, then configure each module separately, etc.

Just a QOL idea.

Peter-daq.io

Agree 100%. If a device is disconnected, creating a simulated version from it should be a single action. This way, one action can create a simulated version of the device, including its names. 

My suggestion: 

If a device is disconnected, allow a right-click action: "Create simulated device with these settings". Store the original device as shadow-copy and replace the simulated one once the real device is plugged in again  

CLD | Alliance Partner | Web data storage and visualization | daq.io