Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trigger oscilloscope on specific write to I2C EEPROM?

My only experience with hardware and LabVIEW is controlling instruments using visa. I have an I2C problem I am trying to debug and maybe someone knows if NI makes hardware that will work for me.

I want to trigger an oscilloscope on an I2C write to a specific 24C32 EEPROM address so I can look at the activity preceding that. Could one of the DAQ cards do this and would I need LV Real Time?

I have a Total Phase I2C monitor and I can log the transactions. But some of the transactions are corrupt and there are mysterious erroneous writes to a few different EEPROM memory locations. Interestingly it writes the address of the I2C device to these locations. So I need to look at the waveform immediately preceding one of these unexplained writes.

Maybe the DAQ card can be the scope if I use analog inputs. If I capture the clock and data is there a vi that already exists that will decode the bit stream?

The way I might go about this is with a PIC microcontroller. I can write a program for that which I can send commands to through LabVIEW. I could tell the PIC to make a digital line go high when it sees a particular bit stream and use that to trigger the scope.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,979 Views)

Please use the forum post located here.

Kareem W.
National Instruments
Web Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,971 Views)