Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help using usb-8473 to program a Vansco 1210 PLC module

Hi,

My name is Michael Szabo. I'm a student currently working on a project that requires a PLC "brain." I have obtained a Vansco 1210 module and VMM software + product key and am trying to establish communication with it through a National Instrument usb-8473 adapter. I have gone through the Vansco's manual and connected everything accordingly. My module has power and has the CAN HI, LOW, and SHIELD connected to the usb-8473 adapter. I have downloaded the driver software for the adapter and tried querying the module on the VMM software with no luck. I just get the following error: "RP1210 DLA Error #:142. The hardware device is not responding." I am not sure if this message is referring to my PLC as the device or the usb-8473. I am fine with coding but initial communication always seems to be a challenge for me. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,693 Views)

The "RP1210 DLA Error #:142" error is not a standard LabVIEW or NI-CAN error so it leads me to believe that it is coming from the VMM software pack. My guess is that the VMM software transmitted a handshake frame to the ECU and did not receive a response. This could be due to any number of things but is most likely due to a problem with the physical layer such as baudrate or termination.

I would first check to make sure there is a total of 60 Ohms termination between CAN H and CAN L. The ECU may have 120 Ohms internal or it may not, you will need to check the specs. If the ECU does have 120 Ohms internal termination then you will only need to apply a single 120 Ohm terminator on the cable to equal 60 Ohms total.

Jeff L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,636 Views)

Hi Jeff,

Thank you very much for your response. If you don't mind I'd like ask you another question. I am terrifyingly new to this piece of technology and was wondering if there is anything addition required for using the usb-8473 to communicate on a CAN line other than downloading its driver software? Again thank you for your input.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,630 Views)

If you are using a C API then all that is required is the installation of NI-CAN (not to be confused with NI-XNET, the driver for newer CAN products). Since you appear to be using a LabVIEW API through your 3rd party library, then LabVIEW should be installed before installing NI-CAN and that is all I expect you would require.

Again, the setup of the actual CAN bus is important and proper termination is required for operation. Check out page 4-5 of the manual for detailed information about how to setup your termination.

Jeff L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,608 Views)