Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Error and Warning Level

Hello,

i want to handle the error and warning messages of the can card but i don't know the difference between e.g. error-code 0xBFF6206B and warning-code 0x3FF6206B (means No Acknowledge). When occures the warning and when the error messages? When i test communication without acknowledge sometimes i get the warning and sometimes the error, but i don't see any difference.

Greetings Andreas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,763 Views)

Hi Andi3001,

The "CanWarnComm" status warning (3FF6206B) indicates that CAN bus problems have been detected, but communication is proceeding. This warning corresponds to the CAN controller chip on the NI-CAN card entering what is known as "CAN Error Passive state".This happens on every NI-CAN board, if the error counter of the can chip reaches 127. If the busproblem continuous and the error counter reaches the 255, the can Chip stops any communication and the error message (BFF62069) ocures. It is important to note that a can controller can not reach the 255 by only receiving frames. The receive error counter stops incrementing after 127. A bus off  state is allways caused by a transmit process reaching the 255 error limit.

Hope that helps

DirkW

Message 2 of 2
(4,755 Views)