Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCMCIA CAN Card not working on Wondows XP

I tried to use PCMCIA CAN card on a desktop PC running Windows XP. I am not able to install the Card using PCI-PCMCIA converter.

This combination works well on Windows 2000 system.

Pls. help me if there is anything else i have to do in case of Windows-XP.

Regards
Pratap
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,998 Views)
Hi Pratap,

Please see the following KB for more information regarding your issue.

Problems with PCMCIA Adapter

The drivers for XP for the adapter you're using obviously don't work well with that CAN card. Try using a different driver set or a different converter.

Regards,
Matt S.

Message Edited by Matt_S. on 11-08-2005 01:12 PM

LabVIEW Integration Engineer with experience in LabVIEW Real-Time, LabVIEW FPGA, DAQ, Machine Vision, as well as C/C++. CLAD, working on CLD and CLA.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,988 Views)
Hi pratap,

you mentioned your Device worked with W2K? have you used the same PCI adapter with W2K, you now using with XP?
NI PCMCIA-CAN cards require two types of resources: An interrupt and a 8 KB memory window.
16-bit PC cards (PCMCIA cards) use ISA-style interrupts, therefore it needs one exclusive interrupt which cannot be shared with other devices.
The usable memory range for PCMCIA-CAN cards is 0x000C0000 to 0x000EFFFF if the PCMCIA-CAN card is connected to the system via an ISA style adapter. If the card is connected through a PCI-style adapter, the usable memory range is is 0x10000000 to 0xFFEFFFFF.
This ressource thing has to be handled by the adapter driver together with the OS, so there is no way to handle this manually.
Something you can try is to change the APIC your computer uses to allow only interrupts below 15.

1. Check your ACPI Driver using Device Manager by expanding the Computer category.

2. There are two ACPI Drivers that work depending on the number of processors in your computer.
3. For a single processor machine, changing the driver manually to Standard PC Should work.

a. Open Device Manager
    b. Expand Computer
    c. Right Click your current ACIP or APCI driver and select Update Driver
    d. Select Advanced on the first screen and ‘Don’t Search’ on the second
    e. Select Standard PC for the new HAL driver

*** Warning: If you pick the wrong HAL your computer may not boot any more ***
      Image your computer before you do this changes

hope that helps

DirkW
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,967 Views)