SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert multiple runs to text files at once

Hello,

We have been testing for reliability and run tests with the same conditions over and over again.

I was wondering if there was a way to use the "Convert to Text" function for multiple runs?  I would like to specify a filename such as "Closure_Test" and have it automatically append 01, 02, 03, etc. to the end of the filename for all the test runs selected.

Thanks in advance,

Boyd Howell 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(8,032 Views)

I was contacted by a NI Support employee stating that this function is not available, but will have the suggestion made for the next SE edition.

Please respond in this thread if the function would be useful to you as well.  I may make the support agent aware of this thread if you have any suggestions, etc.

Cheers,

Boyd 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(8,009 Views)

Hi Boyd,

If you are using Signal Express 2009 (not the LE evaluation version), you can use the Save to ASCII/LVM step.  There is a drop-down option titled, "If the file already exists".  Select Next available file name.

If you can use LabVIEW, you will have much more control and the ability to code this functionality yourself.  I attached a quick example of this.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(8,006 Views)

I've been on the phone numerous times with NI and as you've discovered there is no way to automate this function. In the Save to ASCII step you have the option for next available file name but my results are unfavorable because it creates 1 file for each sample point.

My workaround is to Overwrite then Append to File, but then I have to manually increment the file name: Run_01, Run_02, Run_03, etc.

I'll be happy when they implement a fix for this!

PS, LabVIEW is not an option for me. Although LabVIEW is running on a few machines here in our lab, it is not something I work with on a day-to-day basis. This is why NI's service reps recommended SignalExpress, which for the most part does just what I need, but then again it's got a handful of issues that are almost show-stoppers. It's very frustrating to see the lack of support for feature updates (I.E. low development priority) for this software package.

Message Edited by OKors on 03-26-2010 10:40 AM
SCXI- 1000 Chassis w/ 1346 adapter
PCI 6281 DAQ card
SCXI- 1520 Bridge Board w/ 1314 Terminal Block (x2)
SCXI- 1180 Feedthrough Panel w/ 1302 Block
Signal Express 2014.
Win7 Enterprise
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(7,775 Views)
Yes I agree with you on this limitation of SignalExpress! I wonder if you have tried logging your application in SignalExpress with the recode button, and after that convert those files to ASCII files. I know it’s a manual procedure but it might be less involved and easier to do. Also , I wonder if you can be more specific on those show-stoppers you mentioned. Do you have a CAR IDs for them or got them reported to NI. It would be nice to have those issues addressed so tehy can fix them. I think it’s a good idea to visit the Beta Program Resource Center to try the next generation SignalExpress. Some of those issues might be fixed already if they have been reported.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(7,743 Views)

Logging data using the Record function is a nice addition (for some) but does not work well with our logging and data management and file naming conventions. I record multiple data plots (or "runs") for any given test setup. This includes multiple load conditions, fatigue cycle intervals, or a change in specimen setup. I need all my data files to end up in ONE location which is usually a folder identified by the project number. I maintain a separate spreadsheet specific to that project which lists the run number corresponding run description so the engineers can correlate the Data File name (Run_01, Run_02, Run_03 etc.) to the event taking place.

The Record function insists on creating individual folders for each run which in the end creates more work for me to consolidate all the data files into one folder.

The "Show Stoppers" as I refer to them as are numerous;

• File naming and the inability to increment file names without overwriting is one although the workaround is tolerable
  • The fact that SigEx has no way to make zero offset adjustments for load cells or any full or half-bridge device other than a Strain Gage without entering a y=mx+b formula (c'mon, this is a major fail folks!). Example; I had a test that required load and displacement data, and 34 channels of stick pots. I had to take a dummy data file and manually enter the offset values for each channel as the Y-intercept. 34 channels; that is a HUGE time-suck and very frustrating.
  • The fact that SigEx does not allow you to view your data in a graph in real time (ie. strip chart, scope chart, or sweep) without running it through the Amplitudes and Levels step; which not to mention has an inherent level of filtering not always desirable in many cases.
  • You cannot do a multi-point calibration on Linear Position Sensors, bolt up the sensor and remove any offset. SigEx insists on using a Y=MX+b equation which is okay in some situations (when I have the sensitivity of the device) but not in most. I have to create my own slope with a DVM and tape measure which has inherent errors, and truthfully it's an inaccurate method for establishing a curve. If I create a table based curve I have to already know exactly where my zero is beforehand. This is almost never the case.
  • SigEx's Min/Max Signal Input Range values in the device setup is confusing and frustrating.
  • No time column while saving DC signals from the Amplitudes and Levels.

This list can go on but I don't believe this is the proper forum to address these issues. My biggest annoyance in SigEx is it's inability to automatically zero any offsets other than strain. Every other piece of DAQ hardware/software I've used integrates this function either by using a zero offset potentiometer in hardware (old school) or by clicking a button in software that says "Auto-Zero".

PCI 6281 DAQ card
Signal Express 2014.
Win7 Enterprise
Message 6 of 8
(7,738 Views)

Hey OKors,

Thank you for the feedback. Could you send a mail to support@ni.com and refer to this forum thread so that we can continue this discussion. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(7,730 Views)

Nitin T,

Thank you for the support. I have sent an email to NI.Support with a link to this thread.

Please note however, I've been in contact with NI phone support numerous times for most of the usability issues I mentioned earlier. Most have gotten glossed over as being 'just not supported at this time', others we've found workarounds for.

So other than a push for future software development improvements I'm not sure this support issue will gain much traction.

Also I would like to add; contrary to the tone of my message earlier, I'm in no way dis-pleased with Signal Express. It does exactly what I need it to do (mostly). I just believe, in addition to some necessary improvements, there are a handfull of things it could do better.

I'd also like to add, the reason most, if not all, of these issues are tolorated is because of the outstanding tech support offered by NI. It's by far the best support I've ever experienced- period.

I also apologize to the OP (bhowell) for hijacking and derailling his thread. I hope this comes back around and he gets the attention he originally requested.

PCI 6281 DAQ card
Signal Express 2014.
Win7 Enterprise
Message 8 of 8
(7,713 Views)