LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check out the (almost) new LabVIEW Known Issues Document!

It occurred to me recently that I haven't made this announcement to the discussion forums yet.  As many of you know we publish a list of the known issues that ship with LabVIEW in the LabVIEW Readme file.  We are trying something new (so expect a few problems here and there) and documenting a 'living' version of this document on the web.  I'll keep this post short and let everyone check it out: LabVIEW 8.5 Known Issues.

I hope people find this useful. It's been a fun challenge to create a good process for documenting these issues and in the long-term I think this will be a great document for developers to refer to when programming in LabVIEW.  You'll notice that not all issues will make it in this document, but issues posted to NI through the AE department (i.e. through a phone call, email, or post to the NI Forums) and linked through the bug report threads on breakpoint will have a good chance of appearing on the list so keep up the good work!

Travis M
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
Message 1 of 6
(4,953 Views)
Fantastic!

I hope this will be retained also for future versions of LabVIEW.

It would also be nice to update this list for 8.5 with notes on which have been fixed in later versions of LV.  I know it makes things more complicated, but it means that users of a single version only have to check THAT version for notes on whether to upgrade or not.

Just my 2c.

Shane.
Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
Message 2 of 6
(4,887 Views)

Thanks for highlighting this (again) !

I think we should always have a link to the most current version of this list handy.

Maybe I'll link these into the "Interesting threads" discussion.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 6
(4,784 Views)
To add a few points:

• We do intend on updating specific issues in the document when an issue is fixed (at least for a release or two after the issue is posted).  I plan on putting that update in the workaround field.
  • The title, problem description, and workaround for any issue can change, but we will keep the Date Added field steady.  The system we've designed makes it easy for us to update workarounds and have the document update to pull in that workaround.  If you discover a workaround for an issue on this list that isn't listed, call us or post it to the discussion forums and we can get that field updated.  Not all the AEs here are completely familiar with our process, so if you are giving us a workaround to add to the document make sure you let the AE know what you are calling/posting about.  They have good systems here to find out how to do that (we don't expect customers to know how to update the document!).  More information about this is in the overview section of the document.
  • We plan on making the document easier to read by separating the two lists into a more easy to read format.  We're still working on that solution, but for now don't be overwhelmed by the length of the document -- it's so long because we have 2 hyperlink sections and 2 tables that present the information in 2 different ways.
  • The link to the document will stay the same throughout its lifetime.  When we release a new version of LabVIEW, we'll create a new document.  We won't create a new document for maintenance releases, but we'll update the current document with the pertinent information as it relates to a maintenance release.
  • We'll probably remove the known issues section from the readme that ships with LabVIEW and have a new version of this document ready to go at shipping time.  This has the advantage that users buying LabVIEW after a release will visit the known issues and see the latest information on workarounds, problems, etc...
  • Other product groups are being made aware of our system in LabVIEW and have the option of implementing a similar system for their products.
Hope it helps!
Travis M
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
Message 4 of 6
(4,741 Views)

This is a good way to find that list, especially if telling a customer where to find it over the phone (which just happened recently).

I like it.  Thanks! 

Message 5 of 6
(4,519 Views)
This is a very very important document to carefully review prior to an upgrade.  This will make it much easier to anticipate problems.
-Devin
I got 99 problems but 8.6 ain't one.
Message 6 of 6
(4,409 Views)