From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help making a event counter for beer fermentation

Thanks Chilly

I didnt use the new version yet but I will soon. I have one question for you. Could you add some math so that every .13 in the abv equals 0.01 on the SG part of the vi? So I would enter the OG and it should take off 0.01 on the SG for every .13 of abv.

Thanks alot

Im including the current vi that Im using

Message 41 of 83
(3,050 Views)

Here is the vi

I forgot

Message 42 of 83
(3,048 Views)

Oh yea

here is a link to my fermenter camera inside the cooler, looking at what started this whole thread.

http://www.buckley1.com/future_ideas.htm

Message 43 of 83
(3,049 Views)

trimixdiver wrote:...I didnt use the new version yet but I will soon. I have one question for you. Could you add some math so that every .13 in the abv equals 0.01 on the SG part of the vi? So I would enter the OG and it should take off 0.01 on the SG for every .13 of abv.

The last version ( that you didn't test >:() includes all the calculations. Don't forget to enter the fermentation tank volume, otherwise, there is no way to compute the alcohol production.
Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

Message 44 of 83
(3,036 Views)

Ok Chilly Smiley Happy

Thanks, I ran it but the abv was way too high. Also the tank volume, do you mean the amount of beer in the tank or the actual tank?

Is there anything I can do for you? I feel like Im taking advanage of you.

Message 45 of 83
(3,027 Views)
The volume is the beer volume. This is a critical info, since the volume of CO2 produced is strictly proportionnal to the beer volume.
If the alcohol content is wrong, then the SG will be wrong also.
Possible source of error is the burp volume. If it is too high, then of course your CO2 volume will be exagerated. I understand that you measured the water volume displaced. I'm not sure that this will give you a fair info. If your air lock is transparent, you should observe the bubble and check by eye your displacement hypothesis.
Otherwise, we can do a reverse calculation : enter an arbitrary value as burp volume (0.1 ml for instance) then follow a fermentation, measure the final gravity and alcohol content, and compare to the values returned by LabVIEW. After a straighforward calculation, enter the new burp volume:
new burp = original burp x read abv / actual abv

And yes, you are taking advantage of me. But I agreed, didn't I ? What you can do for me is to get this thing working and produce an even better beer ! May be you could invite LV_Pro and tbob for a degustation ? And I'm sure that most other Enthusiasts would be glad to have a look to your setup, and taste your products, beside the fact that beer fermentation itself is apparently not their cup of...tea ! 😄

Message 46 of 83
(3,027 Views)
And I forgot, you could also rate my replies, as indicated in my signature below :D:D:D

Message 47 of 83
(3,025 Views)

Hello again

I am running the latest vi right now. The counts are perfect!! Thanks. Now the math is off. I did a vi that will do the math to get Alcohol by volume of the gas expelled. But having that info and not knowing labview enough yet, I need to get the OG input to count down 0.01 for every .13 abv. Yours is great and has alot of detail but I entered the volume in liters, 10 liters and the burp volume 2ml and after the second burp it shots to 12-24% abv! (I wish I could make beer that strong! Anyway you are the best.

Also do you like beer? If so I can recomend some nice farmhouse ales in France!! Also take a trip to Belgium! Get the Satan pale ale, it tastes sweet but at 8%abv, after 2-3 it will rock your world.

0 Kudos
Message 48 of 83
(2,991 Views)

Chilly

I know Im pushing it...But, Is there a way to add a burps per hour chart? I tried but couldnt get the counts per hour portion. Also If you can do the .13abv will decrease the OG amount by 0.01.

So it would be a adjustable for the OG and a readout for the current gravity (.13abv=0.01) and a readout for how much longer (in days and hours) by inputing the final gravity.

I know Im pushing, but I just cant or dont have the labview brains yet.Smiley Wink

Oh yea Happy Bastille Day (sorry for spelling) and a French stage in the tour.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 49 of 83
(2,974 Views)

Hi 3mix

I believe the burps/h chart would not be necessary if the "maths" were correct. And they should be, or will be soon !

I don't get the same results as yours : with a 2 ml burp volume, and a 10 l mash volume, the abv reaches 0.01 % after 200 burps. What's wrong ? Could you check the calculations by running directly the Convert Burps sub- vi ? 

And I have some difficulties with the correspondance between abv and SG : 0.13 % abv is 1.3 ml alcohol per litre. 1.3 ml is 1.03 g alcohol/l, and correspond to the conversion of 2 g sugar/l. That can't correspond to a SG variation of 0.01 (about 10 g/l). What's wrong ?

0 Kudos
Message 50 of 83
(2,969 Views)