Wireless Sensor Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ni-3214

I am currently trying to create a LabVIEW program for the ni-3214 that measures and detects strain placed on an object for my senior design project. The order has been placed for the node and while my group waits for it to arrive we are trying to set up the code using the simulated components provided in the LabVIEW wsn module. using the example program provided in the manual for the node I have questions on how to set up a data base for logging data, as well as how to set strain limits for the node so that the warning system will go off.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,338 Views)

Hey Westbury, 

What example are you using? What questions over the database and limits do you have? Are you running into issues with how you're setting up your code? If you attach your code or screenshots of what you have questions about, those on the forums will be able to give you guidance. Right now, all we know is that you have questions. 

Hope we can help!

- TXR

-TXR
***The Best way to say 'thanks' is to hit that Kudos button!***
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,322 Views)

Hey Westbury, What example are you using? What questions over the database and limits do you have? Are you running into issues with how you're setting up your code? If you attach your code or screenshots of what you have questions about, those on the forums will be able to give you guidance. Right now, all we know is that you have questions. Hope we can help!

I have no idea on how to create a data base that stores the strain measurments collected.

we have ordered quarter bridge strain gages to go with the node and for example our project will be on a small scale so what strain limits would be a good place to start at. 

This is what I have done so far 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,307 Views)

2 resources I would direct you towards:

1) learnni.com. This has a lot of modules that will walk you through some basics of LabVIEW and may help you moving forward in programming. 

2) Have you looked at the Strain (With TDMS).vi in the LabVIEW Example Finder? It specifically works with the 3214. 

For limits, just set some less than and greater than functions down and if something is outside of those values, throw an event to take care of those. Sounds pretty simple when you mix the example then some basic functions. Keep building you LabVIEW VI and if you run into more issues, let us know!

-TXR
Message 4 of 7
(6,301 Views)

Thanks for the links you provided. I aslo have a question on how do I set up a database where the results are stored in excel 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,279 Views)

What do you mean by database? Do you mean writing something to a server or just storing data into LabVIEW that is in an excel file?

If you want to write to a specific database (Citadel database for example), there is a an option through LabVIEW that you can get. 

Data logging Options Using the LabVIEW DSC Module
http://www.ni.com/white-paper/12525/en/

If you just want to move and store the data into a folder on your computer or network, there is a ton of information on NI's website that can help you out. Check this out. 

Moving Data From LabVIEW Into Excel

http://www.ni.com/newsletter/51339/en/

Enjoy!

-TXR
Message 6 of 7
(6,267 Views)

This is what i have now I have added a while loop to make it monitor continuously with a 1000 millisecond delay. I have set the data base to export to excel from the waveform generator. 

I would like only the warning strain and max strain to be logged into the data base as we are still waiting on the node to get here I'm not sure if I have set it up correctly.

We are also using three bulbs connected to a bread board their function's are: 1 bulb will be continuously lit as long as the strain is in good standing, The second bulb will light when the strain starts to get too high (warning) and the third bulb will light when the strain reaches max level. Where do I begin to look to find out how the make the bulbs work with the node in LabView?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,238 Views)