Wireless Sensor Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the operating system of programmable NI-WSN

Solved!
Go to solution

Wireless Sensor Network Module can help us to customize Wireless Sensor Network remotely, which is amazing!  My questions is, what is the operating system of programmable NI-WSN? 

Message 1 of 11
(11,480 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author yuguangworld

The WSN gateways run VxWorks operating system. The NI-9795 C-Series module can be used in any cRIO chassis available from NI. WSN nodes have a on board microcontrollers that can be programmed to do a simple tasks.

As a user you can program everything from LabVIEW. The latest software stack you will need to install on your host PC is:

LabVIEW 2015 

LabVIEW Real-Time Module 2015

LabVIEW WSN Pioneer module (optional, this allows you to program WSN nodes directly) 

NI-WSN 15.0 driver

https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/labview-wireless-sensor-network-module/page/lvwsnhelp/wsn_lvwsn...

Message 2 of 11
(11,448 Views)

Can LabVIEW 2014 be used for programming NI-9795?

When will NI stop supporting 9795? Is there a new replacement for 9795?

There is a WLS c-class module 9711 of SEA (www.sea-gmbh.com); please compare it with 9795.

I plan to put a 9795 in a cRIO-9063 on a rotating shaft and replace the original antenna with HG2405P-135 of L-com Inc. (www.L-com.com). Will that be OK?  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(11,258 Views)

Yes, WSN is supported in LabVIEW 2014 all the way up to 2015. Hence, since we are in 2017 now WSN software support ended in 2015. 

However NI continues to support WSN (warranty).

I'm not sure what you are trying to do exactly but NI-9795 is simply a gateway designed to communicate with NI WSN nodes such as WSN-3212 etc.

Again not knowing what is exactly you are trying to do SEA 9711 module might be a good fit for you. I found their module description here.

When it comes to NI 9795 antenna you should get something that matches antenna spec in the manual. I dont expect you will improve your reception but maybe a different form factor is what you are after. 

Some resources on NI WSN:

https://www.ni.com/en/support/documentation/supplemental/09/wireless-sensor-network-frequently-asked...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(11,251 Views)

Thanks, Miro.

I know almost nothing about the wireless systems, please help further.

If I have an NI-9795 in a cRIO-9063, and I use an MikroTik RBGroove52HPn router as a receiver, with an aim to simulate the Ethernet cable between the 9063 and the PC connected to the router, will any programming be necessary at all?

I consider another antenna connected to 9795 since 9795 is mounted on a thick rotating metallic shaft which produces shadows in a part of revolution. I plan to have three receiving antennas separated by 120 degrees from each other, connect them via an L-com (http://www.l-com.com) SC2403N combiner to the RBGroove52HPn router.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(11,242 Views)

I think it would be the best if you explained your application. What are you trying to measure/ do???

From little bits and pieces of your post I think you are looking for a wifi connection between cRIO and host PC. If thats the case then NI 9795 is not a good solution for you. NI 9795 is a gateway module used for wireless communication over Zigbee (IEEE 802.15.4) with NI WSN nodes and nothing else. 

The best solution for wifi connection between cRIO and host PC are cRIO-9032 or cRIO-9037 with built in wifi. 

Since you have non-wifi cRIO you could get router which can be set as an access point and connect it with cRIO. Then using your PC wifi connect to your access point. This was discussed here 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(11,239 Views)

Thanks again.

Yes, I am looking for a wifi connection between cRIO and host PC. If I understood you well, this cannot be organized with NI 9795.

The consumption of the cRIO (on the shaft) is critical, thus I cannot use 9032 or 9037.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(11,234 Views)

If you looking for something that is compact and includes wifi then you can look into myRIO (myRIO-1900)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(11,230 Views)

I need 16-bit ADC. I already have prepared 9063 with 9215. The only problem is this wifi. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(11,224 Views)

Looks like then the only option is to get a wifi access point as I recommended earlier. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(11,222 Views)