From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding disconnected licences

Solved!
Go to solution

We have 4 user-based licences in volume licence manager. Our 4 users each have a networked PC with Labview installed but they also want to use Labview on non-networked PCs/laptops. I understand I have to create a disconnected licence for each of them to do this but from what I've read each disconnected licence effectively takes a licence from the server. If I give a disconnected licence to all 4 users to use on the non-networked PCs would they then also have to install the disconnected licence on their networked PC.  As far as I can see this then renders the licence manager redundant.  Is this correct or am I misunderstanding something ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(9,590 Views)

Hey Niddy,

If you are using NI Volume License Manager 3.1, clients can still access their assigned licenses via the server - even if those licenses are disconnected. If you are using an earlier version of NI Volume License Manager, disconnected licenses are more restrictive, i.e. a client cannot checkout a licenses via the server if the licenses is disconnected.

Best Regards,
Software Engineer
Jett R
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(9,583 Views)

Thank you for your reply.  I have Volume Licence manager version 3.0 as this is the current version available for download.

According to the literature on the web site version 3.1 isn't being released until the sumnmer.  So does this mean with version 3.0 the disconnected licences cannot be used from the network ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(9,578 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author niddy

Hey Niddy,

My apologies; I meant to say NI Volume License Manager 3.0 in my previous post. Since you are using NI Volume License Manager 3.0, your clients will still be able to checkout licenses from the server even if the clients have disconnected licenses. I hope this answers your question; If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Software Engineer
Jett R
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(9,568 Views)

Many thanks for your help - much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(9,565 Views)