From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VirtualBench

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future plans for iPad App - MSO

Per this document (and by looking at the latest version of the iPad app), the MSO capability when controlling VirtualBench from the iPad is very limited. There is no way to use the digital channels or protocol analysis (I2C, SPI, etc.).

Are there plans to improve the feature set for the iPad app? It would be very useful to be able to use more of the features from the desktop application when using the iPad.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,347 Views)

Hi JLJ,

I can't comment on the future releases of the iPad app but I would recommend posting requests for specific functionality improvements to our Idea Exchange. Our developers often look through here to get a better idea of what customers want and will adjust their priorities accordingly.

I searched through the Idea Exchange and found a few posts about requests for MSO capability improvements that I would recommend giving Kudos/adding your own comments to. I've provided a link below to the most relevant one.

"VirtualBench App Improvement for MSO": https://forums.ni.com/t5/Data-Acquisition-Idea-Exchange/VirtualBench-App-Improvement-for-MSO/idi-p/3...

Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,292 Views)

Hi JLJ, 

I believe one of the early rationales the team made for deprioritizing the logic analyzer portion of the MSO on the iPad was a concern regarding having enough screen real estate for viewing significant portions of several digital channels, perhaps in tandem with the analog channels. That was bound to be a better experience on the desktop app. 

Out of curiosity, how do you typically use the iPad app in your work? Is it to augment the desktop app when convenient? Or more of a primary tool in a shared lab perhaps?

Michael Keane
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,282 Views)

Sorry for the very delayed response!

Normally when I'm in the lab, I have more than one monitor, and so the VirtualBench desktop app can have some dedicated screen real estate and always stay visible while working with LabVIEW, etc. My use case for the iPad app is primarily when I'm not in my lab, such as in the field or otherwise mobile.

In those situations, I'm on a laptop with limited screen real estate, and usually don't have immediate access to more than one monitor. So running VirtualBench on the iPad would be a solution for being able to monitor signals while using other tools... if the iPad had a fuller feature set.

With respect to the limited screen real estate on the iPad... sure, it is less than a desktop/laptop, but it still seems like there should be room for viewing some digital channels, especially when doing protocol analysis (SPI/I2C). Perhaps there could also be a mode where the MSO portion of the app goes full screen, hiding the other controls?

Message 4 of 4
(3,130 Views)