cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA personality addition to VeriStand

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello

I am trying to add a custom FPGA to my VeriStand setup. I am using PXI-7853R in a 1044 chassis with PXI-8110 controller.

The FPGA model by itself runs properly and the fpgaconfig file is modified. The fpgaconfig and bitfile are added to the propper directory. Now when I want to add it as a FPGA target I receive the following error:

LabVIEW:  File not found. The file might have been moved or deleted, or the file path might be incorrectly formatted for the operating system. For example, use \ as path separators on Windows, : on Mac OS X, and / on Linux. Verify that the path is correct using the command prompt or file explorer.

=========================

NI-488:  Nonexistent GPIB interface.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\National Instruments\NI VeriStand 2010\FPGA\PXI-7853R HighSpeed Interfaces.lvbitx

I checked 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2FA525A8585A92E9862566EE002A3755 but was not able to address the issue.

I am attaching a few screenshots to give an image of my setup.

p.s. I do not plan to use the GPIB.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,248 Views)

FarHagh,

Error 7 has multiple meanings depending on context.  In this case it is not the GPIB error that is relevant but rather the File Not Found Error that matters.  Does the referenced file exist?

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\National Instruments\NI VeriStand 2010\FPGA\PXI-7853R HighSpeed Interfaces.lvbitx

If this is not the bitfile that you were intending to use, then check the <Bitfile> tag in the .fpgaconfig file. 

If you have one .fpgaconfig file that works and you then get this error after only renaming it, then the problem is that the .fpgaconfig file has not specified a name for the bitfile.  If the <Bitfile> tag is empty it is assumed that the bitfile has the same name as the .fpgaconfig file.

For more information about the fpgaconfig file refer to the NI VeriStand help:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/372846B-01/veristand/creating_custom_fpga_configuration_file...

Carl L

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(7,242 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author FarHagh

Error 7 is a generic "File not found" error in LabVIEW.  Unfortunately I think the NI-488 driver also uses error code 7 for a nonexeistent GPIB interface, and the description of the error lists all possible sources.  In your case though, the error is due to a missing file, and has nothing to do with GPIB.

I would recheck the name of the bitfile in the .fpgaconfig, and verify that it can be found at the listed path:

If you can post you .fpgaconfig and .lvbitx file, we try it out here and hopefully give you better guidance.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(7,240 Views)

FarHagh,

Looking at your files, the image called VS Project Explorer.jpeg shows your dependent files. In there is has C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\National Instruments\NI VeriStand 2010\FPGA\PXI-7853R.lvbitx listed but not C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\National Instruments\NI VeriStand 2010\FPGA\PXI-7853R HighSpeed Interfaces.lvbitx. When you add your FPGA Custom Device, are you pointing to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\National Instruments\NI VeriStand 2010\FPGA\PXI-7853R HighSpeed Interfaces.lvbitx or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\National Instruments\NI VeriStand 2010\FPGA\PXI-7853R.lvbitx?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(7,224 Views)

Thank you. Actually I had forgotten o update <Bitfile> tag and the issue fixed with that.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(7,219 Views)