VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vxi-mxi won't show in max

We have an older system which has been operating for years and suddenly it will no longer recognize the VXI-MXI bus. When I open MAX, under Devices and Interfaces, there is no VXI-MXI bus listed, but there is a GPIB0 bus, serial and parallel ports and a PXI bus (but there is no PXI-MXI card in the computer).

* I have replaced the VXI-MXI PCI card with another one which I know was working in another system.

* I have moved the VXI-MXI PCI card to another open slot

* I have uninstalled and reinstalled all hardware and software (I unistalled the drivers for the VXI-MXI card and the GPIB card and uninstalled all NI software)

Here is my system configuration:

Windows XP

Labview 8.0

MAX 4.0.0.3010

NI 488.2 2.43

NI VXI 3.3.1

Pentium4 3.2GHz

2G RAM

Both VXI-MXI PCI and GPIB PCI cards are NI cards. The GPIB card is recognized by MAX, but the VXI_MXI is not. The system is not connected to the internet and cannot do automatic updates (even if they were still available for XP)

If I run the Resource Manager from the command prompt (I can't run it from MAX since the VXI-MXI bus is not recognized), I get the following error:

VXI Resource Manager failed due to the following error:

Unable to initialize the NI-VXI driver.

The interface associated with this session is not the system controller.

being an old computer, I would not rule out the PCI bus being a problem on the motherboard, but since MAX does recognize the GPIB card, I can't really say that's the case.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reece L. Bain, Jr.
Electronics Engineer, Stf.
Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,772 Views)

Hi Reece,

Thanks for the thorough description of the issue. How long does it take for the error to pop up after running resman?

Here are some troubleshooting steps to try:

-Reset MAX database

-Update VISA to 4.3

-Update VXI to 3.9

-Try a different computer if possible

If you aren't able to make any progress after giving those steps a shot create a service request to work directly with one of our Applications Engineers. I see you're at Lockheed so you should have a service contract allowing you accessing to our technical support. It's important to note that with VXI being a legacy product there isn't a myriad of resources so troubleshooting and working towards a resolution can often take a considerable amount of time and effort. Have a great day!

Thanks,

Jayk

RF R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,741 Views)

finally after resetting the database 3x it started working.

Reece L. Bain, Jr.
Electronics Engineer, Stf.
Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,491 Views)