VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

resman with Linux does not find driver

I am trying to run resman on my newly installed PCI-MXI-2 card and get the following error

OPEN FAILED: drvName=/dev/vxi0, error=2
Resource Manager failed error code -103
Unable to initialize NI-VXI driver
Unable to initialize Kernal device drivers.

I have followed the directions in a previous discussions forums post of: powering off the PC, removing the card from the PC, rebooting, powering off the PC, reinstalling the card in the PC, and rebooting, and I still have no luck.

I used the following disks to install the drivers:
"Version 1.6.1 NI-VXI for VXIpc-870 and PCI-MXI-2 and Linux" and "Version 2.6 500810c-00 NI-VISA Libraries"

I am running RedHat Linux 7.2

If I look under /dev directory I do not see a vxi0 fil
e, I am not sure if I should, or if it is in a ?/?/dev directory.

I went to my Hardware Browser in Linux but do not see the card in the list.

Thanks for the Help
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,988 Views)
Shemp2000,

NI-VXI 1.6.1 isn't supported under RedHat 7.2. You will need version 1.6.3 or later. Please contact your sales representative or NI techincal support (www.ni.com/ask) to obtain this driver.

Also, you need to run make in the /usr/local/nivxi/src directory. Note that you might have to modify the include path in the makefile, depending on your machine setup. You need to run /usr/local/nivxi/sys/load_vxi every time the system starts to load the driver and create the file /dev/vxi0. On RedHat 7.2, you should be able to put that line at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local to run it automatically on system startup.

Regards,
Sarah Fenney
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,988 Views)