VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-configuring VXI-MXI-Express controllers for multiple buckets

We are building multiple test systems, each with 3 VXI buckets.  We've noticed that for VXI-MXI-Express controllers, once they are configured in MAX for a bucket, (e.g. VXI0 or VXI1, etc.), the VXI card is "locked" - if we move it to another bucket, it stays the same.  If we swap PCIe cable connections, there is no change.  Looks like there must be a unique identifier in each VXI card.  That looks great.

Now as we will building multiple test systems, we'd rather preconfigure the cards we ship than have the field personnel have to open MAX and set the controller ID.  That is, we'd like to ship a set of cards that could go in any of these test systems but is always in bucket 0, ship another set of cards for any system's bucket 1, etc.  Any suggestions on the best process for this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(7,270 Views)

Hello Roy,

I think the manual has a section regarding this. Check on pages 25-26, it has a section that deals with writing/reading a controller's ID registers.

Is this what you were asking? Also, what model of VXI controller do you have? What other hardware in your system?

Thank you,

Ryan

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(7,253 Views)

Ryan:

Thanks for the response.  The cards are VXI-8360s and the station has a whole lot of different cards.  I am familiar with the process described in the manual.

My main concern is if I take a PC and configure 10 cards for bucket 0, another 10 cards for bucket 1, and another 10 cards for bucket 2, can I be sure they will show up the same in the field?  Does the PC I have done the configuring with have all the info on it or is it stored in each card?  Or should I just forget about trying to send cards preconfigured and make it a manual operation to be performed at fielded locations?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(7,249 Views)

Hey Roy,

Are running ResMan after every reboot? Running the Resource Manager is VXI's way to discover and enumerate all hardware. Not running ResMan could cause the system to "lock" itself as you described. If you configured your system with MAX and Resman, and then sent it out to the field, it would work as you planned as long as you connected everything the same way as when you configured it. If the ordering has changed or something was connected out of place, then Resman will need to be run after the system was set up in the field.

Also, are you planning on connecting these in a star configuration or daisy-chain configuration?

Thank you and have a great day!

Ryan

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(7,239 Views)