Unit Testing Group

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unit Test Tool Comparison Table

2017-07-05 16_03_04-Mozilla Firefox.png

Has anyone created/seen a table such as above? I'm at the unenviable position of needing to add unit tests to 100's of VI's, CI/Jenkins integration is a MUST, as is code coverage and perhaps requirements traceability.  I've spent a few hours trying to understand the current solutions, and I think that ONLY JKI VI Tester can do everything I need?  my need for CI/Jenkins eliminating NI-UTF from the running?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,300 Views)

I thought NI Week 2017 had a presentation where Jenkins integration was used with both VI Tester and UTF (the example was FPGA testing). If I have recalled correctly then NI's framework is the only one that satisfies all your needs in one form or another.

EDIT: Try looking through this and then on to the links in the last slide: https://www.slideshare.net/ChingHwaYu/automated-test-of-labview-fpga-code-ci-and-jenkins-2-pipelines

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,294 Views)

You can get all of them to work with Jenkins now I believe (certainly VI tester and UTF).

Your killer requirement is the code coverage. Only UTF gives that at the minute so it will force you down that route.

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,250 Views)
Sorry I'm late to the party...

One additional note in case someone else views this thread. VI Tester and UTF are the only ones that currently provide JUnit reports that can be consumed by Jenkins' Performance plugin.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,165 Views)

I am definitely very very late to this party!

Beavercreek,

Do you have an update on your findings?

The only thing I had to add to your table is that Traceability to Requirements can also be done via Requirements Gateway in Caraya and VI Tester, because they are VIs and you can just add a "covers" tag to them. 

If you do plan to post an updated table, I would add two tools mentioned in this group:

Assertions toolkit by Peter Horn: https://forums.ni.com/t5/Unit-Testing-Group/Assertions/gpm-p/3516217

Peter Horn works for NI, but I am not sure you would put NI as the company.

Cost: free

OO support: yes

Jenkins integration: ?? I will ask Peter to answer that one

Traceability Requirements: same as above, via Requirements Gateway by adding a covers tag

AST Unit Tester: https://forums.ni.com/t5/Unit-Testing-Group/AST-Unit-Tester/gpm-p/3454694

I will ping Dan to complete the table for this tool

I am really curious to know how your project went.

Best regards,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,814 Views)

Hello,

The unit tester I made is very simple.

Company  Product              Output         OO Support  Jenkins Integration  Code Coverage  Additional                         Cost

AST           AST Unit Tester   txt File       No                  No                           No                       Very Simple Unit tester    0  

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,807 Views)