UI Interest Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best resolution for a photo background for the front panel?

Hi,

T

his is my first post here. I am a student, and am looking for info to help me with a project for my Labview class.

I have to design a soda machine for my class, and would like to use a photo of a real machine as my background image for the front panel. I will take the photo myself, and can edit it to any resolution. I was playing around with some stock images as tests, at different resoltiuons, and they all looked really bad once imported into Labview.

Can anyone tell me if there is a resolution, or other method of getting a somewhat complex photo to look good as a background image? I will of course have to put controls & indicators on top of the photo for the VI.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, and I appreciate any & all help.

Thanks,

George

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(6,672 Views)

There's a limitation in LabVIEW that transparency in images isn't preserved via the system clipboard, so if you're using PNG files be sure to use the Edit>Import Image to Clipboard menu item and then paste into the VI from the LabVIEW internal clipboard.

If that isn't the issue you're seeing, please let me know what image file format you're using and what you mean by the images looking "bad."

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(6,052 Views)

Hi,

Thanks very much for the links. I had seen the first video already. Unfortunately neither deals with my specific question.

Thanks again for your time!

George

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(6,052 Views)

Hi Christina,

I was trying to import a jpeg. I can convert to png's if I need transparency. The image I tried to import looked like it was scaled up in Labview, and was pixelated & unusable. I believe it was a ~700 by ~700 pixel image. Can I import a really big image & scale it down to retain the detail & sharpness?

Thanks very much,

George

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(6,052 Views)

The key is not resizing it in LabVIEW, it is terrible at rastering. Use a photoeditor like photoshop to resize the image to the actualy display size you want. Then when you import, it should look great.

Message 6 of 16
(6,052 Views)

Hi Spacehunter,

So how do I make sure the Labview window will match the resolution I saved the photo to? Do I just have to resize the window until I find I like the way it looks? Can I then save the size of the window so it opens the same every time the VI is opened?

Thanks very much,

George

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(6,052 Views)

gsrokmix wrote:

The image I tried to import looked like it was scaled up in Labview, and was pixelated & unusable. I believe it was a ~700 by ~700 pixel image. Can I import a really big image & scale it down to retain the detail & sharpness?

I haven't heard of cases where LabVIEW displays an imported JPG at a scaled-up size on import. What version of LabVIEW are you using, and on what OS? Can you attach an image (or provide a link to one) that's behaving this way for you?

[Edit] Also, are you pasting the image on the panel or using some other method of putting it in the VI?

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(6,052 Views)

drop a decoration on the front panel, it displays a size just under the window. once you have the size you like, use photoshop to make the image that size.

explorer_2016-10-13_17-11-15.png

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(6,052 Views)

Hi Spacehunter,

Those numbers at the bottom are in pixels?

I will try this.

Thanks,

George

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(6,052 Views)