Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scan lists vs. Switch Executive Virtual Devices

Solved!
Go to solution

Sorry all if this has a simple answer, but for all my LabVIEW years, I'm only recently developing with NI-SWITCH and with Switch Executive, and lacking in my understanding.

I have a chassis with several RF switches (PXIe-2593).  I'm trying to treat them as one expanded mux (cascaded), and I've created a NISE virtual device with the appropriate hardwires and signal naming and routing.

Can I use this device with a NI-SWITCH scanlist that traverses the individual devices?  Can't see how to do that.  Is it even possible?

If not, I can certainly manage it with NI-SWITCH VIs, a list of individual references, and little modulo arithmetic.  But isn't the point of SE that you can create and operate on preconfigured topologies?  Surely scanning is supported?

Thanks and best regards,

Dave

David Boyd
Sr. Test Engineer
Abbott Labs
(lapsed) Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,049 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DavidBoyd

David,

At this time, NI Switch Executive does not support the IVI Scanning Functionality. The expected use case for NI Switch Executive is that the user will configure the Virtual Device in NI MAX, creating Hardwares and RouteGroups that contain a list of routes that span multiple devices. During runtime, the user will use an NI Switch Executive session to connect all the the pre-defined paths that were specified in the Route Group using niSE Connect.vi and specifying the RouteGroup as the connection specification. NI-SWITCH VIs additionally, cannot not be used to control an NI Switch Executive configuration.

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 11.31.25 AM.png

Frank,
National Instruments
Software Group Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,015 Views)

Thanks, Frank, for the speedy response.  Disappointing to hear - scanning support certainly seems like a central functionality.  But I think I have a good concept of how I can programmatically make my system work, including SE, using virtual channel names.

Dave

David Boyd
Sr. Test Engineer
Abbott Labs
(lapsed) Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,009 Views)