Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reserved For Routing only for certain end points?

Good Morning,

The virtual switch we have developed has some pins reserved for routing.  I would like to know if I can exclude the use of reserved for routing pins.  I would like certain routes to only use certain reserved for routing pins from a group of pins, and other routes to use those pins, but I would still like to be able to use FindRoute rather than define a specific route.

As usual I hope the question makes sense!

many thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,397 Views)

Steve:

The FindRoute and Connect functions seem to pick the first available reserved for routing channel, even if the reserved for routing channel is excluded from the endpoint channels.

Some options:

1. Make your own Connect function:

a. Create channel exclusions in MAX, to handle the channels that you want to exclude.

b. Then call niSE Connect in a loop, trying each explicit path

like [PXI1Slot6/c0->PXI1Slot6/r0->PXI1Slot6/c1], with different r channels.

If you get error -29032 (NISE_ERROR_SOURCE_CHANNEL_CONFLICT), then continue the loop.

Break out of the loop if some other error, or you ran out of r channels, or Connect succeeded.

2. Create two separate virtual devices:

a. One virtual device can contain the first set of reserved for routing channels

The other can contain the second set.

b. Create channel exclusions in each virtual device, to handle the channels that you want to exclude.

c. Then call niSE FindRoute. It will only choose r channels from the one set of routing channels for the current virtual device.

Limitations:

You would have to split your routes across the two virtual devices, and

you would have to close one Virtual Device session in order to open and use the other,

incurring a reset to the switches on open.

Brian

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,375 Views)

Thanks Brian,

Given your answer confirmed our suspicions, we've rewired our interfacing to hardwire the problem routes now any reserved for routing endpoints can be used without issue.

Many thanks (again!)

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,361 Views)