Switch Hardware and Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Switch Exec will not let me connect Ch0 to Ch2 of a 1x32 Mux card

Using a "1 to many" mux switch card, from a third vendor (Pickering) NI-Switch Executive will not let us have two relays closed at the same time.

We can connect Ch0 -> Com OR we can connect Ch2 -> Com

We CAN NOT connect Ch0 -> Com AND connect Ch2 -> Com at the same time.

What we would like to do is Connect Ch0 -> Ch2, but Switch Exec returns an error saying the route does not exist.

I have reserved the COM line for routing and do not have any exclusion set.

MAX will not let us set up a route connecting Ch0 to Ch2 or any other Ch to Ch route.

Picker said that IVI and Switch Exec does not support this.

Is this true?

We can do this by controlling the Pickering card directly with its VISA driver, by passing NI Switch Exec, but we do not wish to do it that way. We wish to remove any product/vendor code from our test code making it easier to trade over to NI switch cards in the future.

In NI’s Doc “How to Create Custom Switch Topologies” there is an example showing just about what we want to do using a matrix card. See Figure 4

Reserved For Routing Channels

Another important feature of NISE is the assignment of channels that NISE can use for routing. These channels need to be marked as “Reserved For Routing” and are used by NISE to complete routes within a switch between endpoint channels. For example, for NISE to connect C0 to C2 as illustrated in Figure 4, mark of the rows “Reserved For Routing”.

Figure 4: R0 is used to route C0 to C2

We want to do the same thing just with a 1x32 “matrix” better known as a MUX. Is there a way to configure NI Switch Exec to allow me to do this with a MUX card

Software

Window XP

IVI Compliance Package  2.3

LabVIEW     8.0.1

Measurement & Automation Explorer   4.0.3.3003

NI-SWITCH   3.10.49153

Switch Executive  2.10.49161

TestStand   3.5

NI-VISA     3.6  

Thanks

Jim Dailey

Test Engineer

Sanmina-SCI

Huntsville, AL

(256) 882 4800 x8638

Omar
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(7,019 Views)

Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting this issue.  IVI and Switch Executive both support connecting ch0 -> ch2.  You are likely running into an issue with the IVI-specific driver provided by Pickering.  Our IVI-specific driver, NI-SWITCH, will not allow a MUX to connect ch0 -> ch2 unless the board is configured in an Independent Topology.  In any other topology, i.e. 1-Wire 128x1, 2-Wire 64x1, etc., NI-SWITCH prohibits a COM to be connected to multiple channels, and thus Switch Executive provides a warning stating the endpoints cannot be connected.

I've provided some pictures showing a PXI-2530 configured in it's 2-Wire 64x1 Multiplexer Topology and Independent Topology.  When the PXI-2530 is configured as a 2-Wire 64x1 Multiplexer, I was not able to connect ch0 -> ch2 (MUX endpoint missing.bmp).  When I configured the PXI-2530 in a Independent Topology (2530 Independent.bmp) and attempted to connect ch0-> ch2, Switch Executive prompted me with the following message:     

NI Switch Executive requires a routing channel to complete this route.  Would you like to reserve this channel for routing?Channel:2530_ivi/com0

After reserving the COM for routing, I was able to connect ch0->ch2 (MUX ch-ch success.bmp).

My suggestion is to follow up with support from Pickering, letting them know you suspect the Pickering IVI-specific driver and it's corresponding topology is prohibiting you from connecting two channels together.  Please update this forum post with any information you receive.  Thanks again for your post!

Chad Erickson
Switch Product Support Engineer
NI - USA

Message 2 of 2
(7,010 Views)