From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ground reference

Hello,

I am using PXI 6713 to generate analog output.
My problem is with the reference of the output, because the reference is the chassis ground.
Is there a way to have a Ov reference which will be different than the chassis ground ?

Thanks for your input.
Hubert Robitaille
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(7,447 Views)
Hubert;

If you use an external reference voltage (a external power supply), the output voltage will use that voltage as the ground reference.
For more information on how to hook up an external power supply to the analog output channels, refer to the DAQ board Users Manual.

Hope this helps.
Filipe A.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(7,446 Views)
Filipe,

I don't agree with you. In all case (external or internal reference voltage), the reference is the AOGND signal (see figure 4-3 in the 6713 manual).
And it seems that the AOGND is linked to the DGND and to the ground chassis.
In fact I have seen this problem because I am using a floating source as external reference and when I connect this source to the 6713, the signal falls because we connect the ground chassis to the source.
I need that the AOGND will not be connected to the other ground reference. In this case I could supply my own "ground" reference.

Regards
Hubert Robitaille
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(7,447 Views)

What happens if the external reference source is grounded to the desired ground reference?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,886 Views)