From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Labview 8.5 to detect defects in material structure

Hi there!

I'm currently new to LabVIEW and am at a loss in using it, together with the hardware available for me, for conducting an ultrasonic non-destructive testing on a piece of material.

Objective:

- To detect defects within a structure.

Hardware on hand:

- NI PXI-5422

- NI PXI-5122

Software on hand: 

- LabVIEW 8.5 

Request Assistance in:

- giving some pointers as to how to start off in the right direction

(would really appreciate if there some "Print Screen" of the design structure or recommended VIs to use)

Thank You and Best Regards,

HC

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,321 Views)
Hi HC Tan,

This is a very open ended post so I shall try and give you some pointers to documentation that will hopefully guide you on where to find information about what you wish to do.

Have you looked at the LabVIEW examples? There are a great deal of examples covering a large number of different programming ideas. These range from setting up Arrays to developing user interfaces. All the examples can be accessed from the LabVIEW start-up screen (on the right "Find Examples...") or from within LabVIEW itself (Help->Find Examples...).

If you have never used LabVIEW before, there are a great deal of how-tos in the LabVIEW help pages. These are located in Contents->Fundamentals. I would strongly recommend reading through the "Getting Started with LabVIEW" Chapter of the help as this details a lot of useful information about using MAX (measurement & Automation Explorer) which you will need later on.

Once you have had a look at the examples, I would suggest posting any programming questions that you have on the forum. Many of the active users are more than happy to help you out.

There are also a number of examples about how to use data acquisition included in the example finder.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,
Andrew McLennan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,253 Views)

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your earlier assistance. I have read through LabVIEW and have come up with the following VI to the best of my current knowledge.

VI's Objective:

- To detect a defect within a specimen.

- Defect is detected by means a transducer. When transducer detect a defect, there will be a rise in Amplitude of the Response Signal shown in the magnitude graph.

What the VI is showing:

1) A (self-created) input signal is generated into the transducer,

2) A defect within the specimen is detected,

3) Obtain a response signal as a whole

4) Obtain amplitude component (vs freq) of the response signal

Question regarding VI:

- I would like to enquire whether the VI I have created is showing what I would like to see especially in parts 3) and 4). Please kindly note the areas marked by Red  Circles.

Am appreciative of your time and effort spent in reviewing the VI.

Thank You and Best Regards,

HC Tan

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,238 Views)

Hi HC Tan,

I believe your VI is probably doing what you wish but without looking at the VI on my PC I cannot say for definite. Could you possibly attach the VI to this thread so that I can review it and advise you accordingly? 

Many thanks,

Andrew McLennan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,217 Views)