From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe-5413 fails self test in MAX

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello NI Community!

I have a problem an PXIe-5413 signal generator in a PXIe-1075 chassis.  The Access LED turns red within a few seconds of applying power.  I looked at it in MAX and when I ran the self test, it returned "An unexpected software error occurred."  No code was given.  It does this in more than one slot, and the other three 5413s in the chassis operate normally.  The documentation that I found said some possible causes are the PLL not locking and the unit overheating.  Is there a way to drill down to a root cause? 

thx,

John

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition."- Lt. (j.g.) Howell Forgy, Sky Pilot, USS New Orleans, 12/7/41
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,651 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author HK45acp

@HK45acp wrote:

The Access LED turns red within a few seconds of applying power.

Is there a way to drill down to a root cause? 

Curious, do you see the red LED before or after the operating system starts?

Your best course of action is to send the module in to NI and get it repaired.

https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/services/hardware/repair-replacement-services/hardware-repair-policies...

Open a service request, here:

http://sine.ni.com/srm/app/myServiceRequests

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,609 Views)

I'm not sure which OS you're referring to (assuming there's one in the PXI chassis) so I did this test:

1. PXI chassis/function generator and the rack it's mounted in powered off overnight (system at lab ambient temperature)
  2. Computer connected to chassis not powered
  3. Powered up rack and chassis
  4. It took about 30 seconds for the Access LED to go red.

The LED goes red much faster (estimate 0-5 seconds) if the chassis has already been powered up. Sounds like a heat issue.

thx,

John

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition."- Lt. (j.g.) Howell Forgy, Sky Pilot, USS New Orleans, 12/7/41
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,595 Views)