Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-5422 ConfigureArbWaveform().

I am using C++ code to control the PXI-5422 Function Generator via the IVI interface.

I am able to load, configure and generate an arbitrary waveform, however the gain that is applied to the waveform is always double the gain that I supply to the
IviFgen_ConfigureArbWaveform() function.

IVI waveforms are normalized from -1 to 1.  So if I supply a gain of 3 I expect to see a waveform with voltages from -3 to 3.

Currently, if I supply a gain of 3 to the IviFgen_ConfigureArbWaveform() function I am seeing a waveform with voltages from -6 to 6.

I've used two different scope view the waveform with identical results ( NI PXI-5922 digitizer and a desktop scope from another vender ).

Any ideas why I would be getting this behavior.

Thanks,
Anson Wooten
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,602 Views)

You may have an impedance mis-match.  The PXI-5422 assumes a 50 Ohm load impedance by default; if your scope has a high input impedance, like 1MOhm, you'll see double the voltage you expect on the scope's input.

If you can check and verify that your scope does have a high input impedance, you can either switch the scope's input impedance to 50 Ohms (available on the PXI-5922) or set a load impedance attribute on the PXI-5422 to change its assumed load impedance to match your scope's input impedance.  To do this, you can call Ivi_SetAttributeViReal(vi, "0", NIFGEN_ATTR_LOAD_IMPEDANCE, 0, 1000000) on the PXI-5422.  You will probably have to include the niFgen.h header file in your program to get that attribute constant.

Drew Creel
NI Software Engineer
Signal Generators Group

Drew Creel
NI Software Group Manager
RF and Signal Generators
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,590 Views)
Hi A Wooten,

Here is a knowledgebase about what Drew is talking about.
Gerardo O.
RF SW Engineering R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,571 Views)