Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a SIMPLE way to setup the PXI-5404?

Hi,

I have a PXI-5404 that simply needs to output a sine wave at a constant amplitude/frequency. I imagine that I only need to send maybe 3 or 4 setup commands to the signal generator when my test system first initializes, and then the 5404 will just run happily on its own.

But, in order to do this, it seems like NI insists that I must install NI-DAQ, NI-IVI and NI-FGEN just to do this really basic setup of the 5404. Do I REALLY need all of this flotsam just to send three or four commands to one NI board? Is there some other way I can get lower-level access to the PXI-5404 setup? (e.g. register-level programming or similar). Perhaps I can just make a couple calls to a *.dll supplied by NI?

I understand that NI prefers that I install NI-DAQ/NI-IVI/NI-FGEN. I'm sure it is easier for them to support that configuration. But I guess I'm looking for a much simpler solution which is perhaps not "officially" supported by NI.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,124 Views)
Hi, Sean,

NI does not support register-level programming for Modular Instruments like the PXI-5404, nor do we provide support for accessing entry points in lower-level DLLs.

I understand your desire for a simple solution, but I can assure you that the NI-FGEN interface is a much simpler programming environment.  The register-level configuration of that device is quite complex, and the driver software adds a great deal of value in its handling of issues such as triggering, signal routing, synchronization, and calibration (which keeps the frequency correct and the output flat across the entire bandwidth of the device).

If you have the NI-FGEN CD, the installer should automatically install DAQ, IVI, and other dependencies without requiring your intervention.  NI-FGEN also includes complete documentation, many programming examples, and interactive applications like the Signal Generators Soft Front Panel. 

Finally, once you have NI-FGEN installed, you can program the 5404 with the 4 simple setup commands that you requested:

niFgen_init
niFgen_ConfigureStandardFunction (frequency, amplitude, etc.)
niFgen_InitiateGeneration (now you're generating)
niFgen_close

Hope I've been persuasive,

Patrick
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(6,111 Views)