From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Signal Generator PS350

Hello, 

I have a PS 350 Stanford Research Systems High Power Voltage Supply.  I neeed to generate a triangular wave using LabVIEW. 

Does anyone know an efficient way to create a signal generator using LabVIEW to control the PS350?

All help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,960 Views)

This discussion board is mainly  for discussion of National Instrument's Signal Generator devices. 

Despite this, in order to generate your signal through LabVIEW, you should download the correct instrument driver for your device. I think you can find it here: http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.model_page?p_model_id=605 The driver should have function calls that you can use in LabVIEW to control your instrument.

Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,957 Views)

Hello, 

Thank you for your response, and I apologize for posting in the wrong section.

I downloaded the drivers, and have he hardware hooked up and working.  The problem I run into is actually creting a code where a signla generator is made using LabVIEW.  Can you point me in a direction where I can find a sample program and mimic it to my needs?

Thank you for your help.

Andre

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,953 Views)

Also, from looking at that device's User Manual: http://www.thinksrs.com/downloads/PDFs/Manuals/PS300m.pdf , it does not seem obvious that the device is capable of generating Triangle Waves. You should doublecheck the capabilities of your device before proceeding.

Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,952 Views)

If you look at the Stanford Research P300.lvproj and open up the Stanford Research PS300 Series Configuration Display.vi in the example folder, I think this program uses 90% of the functions that are in the driver. The VI is pretty hard to follow, so I recommend just pressing CTRL + U to clean up the block diagram. It looks like you can only configure the High Voltage Switch (On/Off), highest voltage level for the source, and committing a voltage setting. 

It may be possible to ramp up the voltage and ramp down the voltage, however it would involve constantly calling these functions. Latency over the GPIB/USB connection between your PC and device is inconsistent and most likely in the millisecond range, so your triangle wave will look very bad. You should probably use a function generator device, instead of a power supply device for your application.

Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,949 Views)

Again thanks for your response.

I am doing a bit more reading, seems like there is a way to connect a low voltage function generator to a high voltage power supply to generate a function.  I will try both methods.

Can you sned me a link to the Stanford Research P300.lvproj, is this on the main NI site?

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,945 Views)

No, the Stanford Research LabVIEW project comes with the driver you have installed. Most third-party drivers have something similar. If you have the driver installed, you can probably find it here: <LabVIEW>\instr.lib\Stanford Research PS300 Series\Stanford Research PS300 Series.lvproj where <LabVIEW> is where you have LabVIEW installed.

Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,942 Views)

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,940 Views)