Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Values of strain (full bridge) using Labview vs. Vishay strain box are different.

When measuring strain with my old Vishay strain box, all the equasions workout. With my Labview SCC2345 half bridge values checkout but full bridge values are off by a factor of three.

I measured the voltage strained and unstrained using a meter and the Lab view full bridge signal conditioning device setup to display voltage. Strained with 10lbs voltage = 4.26mv unstrained effectively 0.

Using the equations in the NI manual

Voltage ratio = Vstrained - Vunstrained/Vex 4.26mv/2.5v = 1.704m

strain E = -Voltage ratio / GF -1.704m/2.115 = -805u

-800u is exactly what Labview measures in Strain.

The Vishay box measures 3.1mE strained with
10lbs ... voltage = 4.26mv

But the Vishay box EX voltage is 2.0 vs 2.5v Ex Labview is using. I tried using the external EX from the Vishay box to provide the EX and have Labview measure the strain, same result 800uE.

I called NI so far they don't have an answer. It may be an algorithm issue in the Labview software. My incedent number is 565591.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,812 Views)
Hello,

Thank you for contacting National Instruments.

Check that the Vishay and/or LabVIEW strain values are not being scaled with a custom scale.

Also, are you using the same strain gauge in both tests?

Your system may also need calibration.

Matthew C
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,812 Views)
Hi Matt,

There is no custom scale I am using an Express VI for Full bridge strain. Same strain gauge/setup for both instruments. I don't believe its a calibration issue, when I display strain as a voltage in Labview it is the same value as the Vishay box is recieving for a voltage. It just not processing the conversion to strain correctly.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,812 Views)
Hello,

I apologize for the delayed response.

What SCC module(s) are you using with your SC-2345? Different modules are designed to work with different strain gauge applications (i.e. full bridge, half bridge, etc.).

Matthew C
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,812 Views)
Matt,

I am using the SCC-SG04 for full Bridge, the SCC-SG03 for half Bridge.

Kevin
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,812 Views)
Hello,

I apologize again for the delayed response.

I noticed that your phone support service request for this same issue has been resolved. Are you still having problems with this issue?

Matthew C
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,812 Views)
Nothing has been resolved I am still looking for an answer.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,812 Views)