Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCC AI04 vs SCC AI14 (10khz and 4hz)

Hello everyone,
I am in the process of starting a setup with an SC-2350.  One question I have so far is regarding the difference between the two AI SCC modules for +- 5V.  The AI04 has a bandwidth spec of 10Khz and the AI14 has a bandwidth spec of 4hz.  I am a little confused as to how this spec is being used. If I understand this correctly as long as my signal is not expected to change more than 4 times a second then the AI14 would give me a cleaner signal but if I am expecting to see large signal changes faster than 4 times a second then the AI04 would be the proper choice.  This bandwidth spec refers to the built in filter correct?  And should I really only be concerned with it if I am looking at an AC signal (sine wave).  I will be using these modules to measure an LVDT, and for all intensive purposes I will be measureing a DC signal that will change relativly slow (0.01mm/sec or ~0.248Vdc/sec) so does this bandwidth spec not really apply to me?  I would be more than happy if someone could set me straight on this topic or point me in the proper direction.

Thank You,
Steve 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,962 Views)
Hi Steve,

You are right. The bandwidth specification is essentially a low-pass filter. It sounds like your application may be able to get away with the lower cutoff frequency of 4Hz. This would give you a cleaner signal in the end as it would cut out any higher frequency noise.

Cheers,
Garrett H
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,946 Views)