Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum channel-to-channel voltage to multiple analog input lines.

Thinking of using the SCXI-1102B 32 Channel AI board to measure individual voltage of 24 batteries wired in series. Each battery is ~1.6V max. Would be using Differential.

Is the ~40V that will be present between channels going to harm the board even though each individual channel will only see ~1.6v? I know there's this "Maximum Working Voltage" of +/-10V, but I guess I'm confused.

Thanks...
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,017 Views)
If your battery system is NOT ground referenced the ADC will see only the voltage of a single battery when measuring the differential voltage. However, in case there is any possible path to the reference ground of the ADC system from the battery system there is risk of leakage current through the multiplexer which might result in excessive voltage on the ADC inputs. There are no analog (semiconductor) switches without leakage current.

I once was involved in the design of a multi-purpose battery monitoring system. Since sometimes battery systems in UPS systems are ground referenced we had to use relays to switch over the differential inputs since leakage currents could not be avoided otherwise. We wanted to monitor up to 192 batteries (some UPS battery strings are that large) plus the total voltage and some other values and finally ended up in a system with more than 400 relays. But we finally managed to tame this beast.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,012 Views)
As Buechsenschuetz said, you shouldn't have any problem as long as you are measuring each one differentially and you do not have any of the batteries referenced to ground.

Even if you did happen to have them referenced to ground you should be okay, because the SCXI-1102B can handle up to +/- 42 V. That figure comes from the Product Data Sheet. You still can only read voltages up to +/- 10 V, but you could have up to 26 different 1.6 V batteries in series before you damage the device.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,008 Views)