Signal Conditioning

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting my SC-2345 chassis to my laptop

I have a SC-2345 that I use to collect bridge-based strain gauge data.  For years now, I've been using a 6036e PCMCIA DAQ card to get the data into my laptop.  However, I'd like to get a newer, faster laptop and no longer have the option of getting one with a PCMCIA slot.  Can anyone recommend either:

1) A new way DAQ configuration to connect a laptop to my SC-2345?  I'd like to not spend too much money, as I'd only be using it for this one application.

2) A PCMCIA to USB adapter that would work with my old 6036e DAQ card?

Thanks,

Jesse

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,470 Views)

Hello MonkeyBusiness,

1. About the first option, I went to the 6036e product page, as you could see NI recommends the PCIe-6341. But if you are using a laptop, the PCI bus is not the best option so could take a look to the USB bus usb-6341. You just need then the correct cable.

Please check this additional resource:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/7D5FA5E680168A2586257AD8001030F1?OpenDocument

2. About your second option, please check the link below

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A472CE9EC6438E59862573A9007892A1?OpenDocument

Regards

Frank R.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,450 Views)

Good afternoon:

I have a similar problem with a legacy PCMCIA DAQ card that will not work with my newer USB laptops. After much searching and head scratching, I decided to keep my old laptop as a dedicated PC for the DAQ with the PCMCIA card, and use my newer laptop for everything else. Think about it. You have been using the existing DAQ setup, so presumably the speed of the old laptop has been satisfactory in the past. Even if you get a super-whizbang-fast laptop with all the bells and whistles, graphics accelerators, etc,. you would not see much improvement while using the legacy DAQ hardware. Since you already have the financial investment in the old setup, it cost you nothing to keep the existing DAQ setup in place.

Also, a big issue with the third party USB to PCMCIA adapters (yes they do exist) is that they have major compatability issues, especially when driven to higher speeds.

My two cents, for what it  is worth.

Have a nice day,

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,422 Views)