cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

compile server installation

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear Sir/Madam,

I was using labview 2010 FPGA module to build an interface with cRIO-9022, I have built a FPGA vi in the FPGA target and tried to compile the vi. However, I was told that there is a communication error that "The local compile server is not installed on this computer".

This error is shown in the picture attached

I download FPGA module from NI LabVIEW Modules and Toolkits for Embedded Design. It does not contain compile server in the installation.

What should I download and installed so that I can compile my FPGA vi with cRIO-9022?

Many thanks,

Li Shen

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(6,218 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author seevy

Hi there Seevy,

Allow me to take a little time to explain what I think the scenario is:

You are coming up against this problem because there are no compile tools installed. The message is directing you toward the compile farm, but this isn't actually what we want to use in this case. The compile farm is a piece of software that allows you to share the compiling work amongst several PCs all connected to a 'compile server'. The intended use for this software is for extremely large FPGA code/projects or where people might need to recompile several times an hour and have access to the processing power of networked PCs.

So what we need to do is install some compile tools designed to work in a stand-alone, non-network environment. These are the Xilinx tools, named after the manufacturer who make the majority of FPGA chips in the chassis section of the cRIO.

See if this link works for you. There should be downloads for the .iso image files of Xilinx tools part way down the page.

http://digital.ni.com/src.nsf/title/FB76DB328E265F9D8625776C006573C6?OpenDocument&node=203014_us

You will need to burn these .iso files to DVD with burning software capable of doing a .iso burn. Then reinsert the DVD and it should auto run the correct splash screen or installer.

Before undertaking such a large download I would recommend going to Measurement and Automation eXplorer, Right Clicking the Software branch under My System, and then waiting for the small window to load. In this small window you can then search through the list of installed software to see if Xilinx tools are already installed.

Thanks for taking the time to read through all of this! Let me know what you decide to do.

Rhys
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(6,189 Views)

Hi Rhys,

Thanks for replying.

I have installed Xilinx tool 11.5 which fixed my problem.  I have successfully complied the programme. 

Many thanks to you

Li

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(6,183 Views)

That's no problem at all. Feel free to check back in on the forums if you come up against any other problems.

All the best with your FPGA work!

Rhys
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(6,180 Views)

Hello Friends,

I am also facing the same problem as with Thread Starter and then i verified all installs including FPGA, RIO and I have both the Xilinx Compiler 10.1 and 11.5 on my Computer. Still I am getting the same error message everytime.

Any Clue whats wrong??

Thanks in Advance

Saurabh

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,856 Views)

Hello Saurabh,

You may wish to start a new forum post, which links this one as a reference.  This could increase your visibility to the entire community for more answers.  In your next post, please include your code and details about your PC system so that users and NI engineers can have a better idea of what you are working on.

Regards,

George T.
Senior Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK and Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(5,830 Views)

I had a similiar problem.  Note that Xilinx tools only work on 64-bit systems.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,556 Views)

stumpbl,

The Xilinx tools work on both 32- and 64-bit systems.  What issues did you encounter installing on a 32-bit system?

Donovan
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,538 Views)

it might just be a subset of the tools for our specific FPGA.  however, updating to 64bit windows did fix the problem.  nevermind, I guess.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(5,535 Views)

why wouldn't these tools already be installed with my latest LabVIEW upgrade to 2011?  I have the same problem.  All the best,

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(5,070 Views)