Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO: Unable to format disk when disk is full

Here's a fun one: During development, my application chewed up the cRIO-9063's disk space with log files. I first noticed that something was wrong when I tried to deploy new chassis settings, and LabVIEW complained about a disk read error. Upon rebooting, the cRIO entered "Safe Mode (Improper Installation)".

Long story short, I didn't realize that the disk was full at this point, and unsuccessfully tried various things to repair the alleged Improper Installation. I eventually decided to just wipe the drive for a fresh start. However, NI MAX won't let me format the disk:

Format read error.png

I'm curious: What does the Format Disk operation need to read? I had opted not to preserve any settings, after all.

Anyway, I eventually deleted some logs and the cRIO works fine again.

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,537 Views)

Yep, I ran into this issue last year.  I will have to see if I still have the emails, but it was something along the lines that the Linux RT needed to write something during the boot process.  And with the disk full, that daemon would crash and stop the rest of the boot process.

As you found, just delete a few files and everything is fine once again.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,523 Views)