Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adc testing with pci 6534

I want to test the linearity of the 10 bit ADC with either PCI 6534 or the GPIB

I'm new to the labview, so i request if some have any example related to the adc testing with pci6534

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,969 Views)

Hey Chinnu8490,

If you go to ni.com and then in the upper right hand corner do a search for "ADC Linearity", you will find some example code on the results of the search (in my results it was the second link). The first link that is a result of the search takes you to a Developer Zone document called: Linearity of Analog-to-Digital Converter (ADC), which will probably describe what you are trying to do. The example program called ADC Linearity Test is probably what you are looking for, and it is even linked at the bottom of the developer zone document. You will also see that the requirements for the example to work are the 6534, which it sounds like you might already have, and the other is a signal source, which in this example we recommend using an NI-FGEN device. But if you don't have an NI Function Generator, then you are probably asking about how to use your desktop instrument via GPIB. If so, then you will have to change the example so that it generates a signal from your instrument, which I think you mention in another one of your posts that it is an Agilent device. If so, you should do a search for an Instrument Driver for your device on ni.com/idnet and then use the examples that usually come with the instrument driver to generate the analog data that you will put into your ADC, and then use the digital code from the ADC Linearity Test example to acquire from the digital side of your ADC, and then you can decide how you want to put it all together.

I hope this helps get you started. Please let us know if there is anything else that we can help you with (other than writing your code for you). Thanks, and have a great day.

Regards,

DJ L.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,959 Views)

thanks DJ L

i have tried with the example ADC_linearity test, but i think there were some files missing in that library (for labview 8.5) and could not open the library for run purpose

I'l try it again and let you know the errors.

thanks a lot once again

Message Edited by chinnu8490 on 08-31-2009 11:15 PM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,948 Views)

Hey chinnu8490,

Meanwhile you can go through this discussion forum link:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&requireLogin=False&thread.id=151057

Some good info regarding static ADC testing has been discussed here.

Also post the errors you are getting in your adc_test.llb vi

Regards,

Shivam

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,940 Views)

Hi 

As the library adc_linearity.lib shows, it works with pxi6534 and pxi 5411

but i have pci 6534(which should be ok for my adc) and i dont have any of the arbitary waveform generators as pxi5411

so when i open the lib and the .vi program, it shows as missing niFgen.vi  as i dont have 5411

but i'm trying to generate the waveform from a tektronix signal generator which have a GPIB interface to connect with the labview.

the problem is i want to capture the data along with the generation of waveform from signal generator which i'm not able to modify the program as i'm new to labview, i request if someone  has got the programe with the signal genrator or else only capturing the data from ADC through PCI6534.

thanks and regards

Chinnu 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,917 Views)

Hey Chinnu,

As I mentioned in my first post:

"But if you don't have an NI Function Generator, then you are probably asking about how to use your desktop instrument via GPIB. If so, then you will have to change the example so that it generates a signal from your instrument, which I think you mention in another one of your posts that it is a Agilent (Tektronix) device. If so, you should do a search for an Instrument Driver for your device on www.ni.com/idnet and then use the examples that usually come with the instrument driver to generate the analog data that you will put into your ADC, and then use the digital code from the ADC Linearity Test example to acquire from the digital side of your ADC, and then you can decide how you want to put it all together."

Also, if you are curious as to what the NI 5411 code does, you can download and install the NI-FGEN driver, and then the VI's will show up. Then you can use the Context Help of LabVIEW to see what the functions do, and then you can figure out how to implement something similar using your Instrument Driver that you installed for your device. You can leverage the examples that come with the Instrument Driver for your Tek  signal generator, and again use the Context Help of LabVIEW to see what the different functions do.

Another option you can consider, if you need someone to write code for you,  is that you can always contact an NI Alliance Member, who are "consultants, system integrators, developers, channel partners, and industry experts who partner with NI to provide complete, high-quality virtual instrumentation solutions to customers." Check out http://www.ni.com/alliance/ for more details.

Finally, if you would like to learn more about programming with LabVIEW, you can check out the following:

- NI LabVIEW Courses (included instructor led courses, online courses, etc)

- LabVIEW for Controlling Instruments (with good links to other useful info)

- Learn LabVIEW in 3 or 6 hours (for LabVIEW 8.6, so you might have to install a 30 day trial of 8.6 if you don't have that version)

- Search on NI's website for other useful resources related to "LabVIEW" and "Instrument Control"

- Contact your local sales representative for help

Let us know if you run into any issues or incorrect behavior. Good luck in your application.

Regards,
DJ L.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,911 Views)

Hi DJ L

I tried with ur suggesstion but could do the programming part of PCI 6534 could u please me with the following problem...............

I wan to configuring individual channels with DAQ Assistant for PCI 6534

i wanted to configure few channels as input and few as output on same board.is it possible?

At every event of external trigger I want to dump a bit pattern at some of the individual channel of PCI6534 and also to acquire data from remaining channel of same board, help me if someone has a VI to da that.

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,889 Views)

Hi Chinnu,

The link below contains some example VIs for different triggering scenarios.  The 6534 device can be configured on a port by port basis to generate or aquire a digital pattern.  However, if you are using the DAQ Assistant (which i would not recommend for this application) you will need two separate DAQ assistants for both generation and acquisition.  Also, you are not able to have a retriggerable acquisition in hardware because it is not supported by this device.  There are work arounds to this that are discussed in the article below such as restarting the task or configuring a continuous acquisition or generation with an intermittent sample clock (which would produce or acquire samples on each rising or falling edge of the clock).    

Trigger Use Cases with NI 653x Devices

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/EDB6145AD06CEB2886256BF20078363E

NI 6533/6534 for NI-DAQmx Help

http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/CCB88DC67022A750862573A7007ACAB7

This hopefully will get you a good start on your application.  The examples that are linked are located in the NI Example finder (Help»Find Examples) if you are interested in seeing what other examples are available for the 6534 (Hardware Input and Output»DAQmx). 

Message Edited by Jordan F on 09-09-2009 06:22 PM
Regards,
Jordan F
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,821 Views)
thanks jordan
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,813 Views)

Hi chinnu & all

I am also developing test set up using PCI6534. Here signal source is a DAC board (internally developed) and 12 bit ADC . When I open ADC TEST.llb, i m getting error message like DIO read.vi subvi missing etc, DIO write.vi subvi missing etc. FYI I have attached snapshot of error messages. Please advice me how to fix these errors.

Thanks in advance,

Siva

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,889 Views)