From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording Temperature from Omega PID Controller

I am trying to record temperatures measured by a Platinum series, microprocessor based Omega Engineering PID controller. The part number is CN8DPT-224. The webpage for this controller is,

https://www.omega.com/pptst/CNPT_SERIES.html#manuals

I have the manual for this controller. I also have the Platinum Configurator software and its manual which is provided in the link above. I also have the Platinum LabVIEW driver and its manual.I just want to send data automatically from multiple days of recording from the controller to another computer so that that computer can record the temperature data and graph it, preferably in LabVIEW. How do I do this?

If this is not clear I can provide more documentation and description. I have been stunk on this for a while and have checked what I believe are all of the obvious fixes.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,447 Views)

Just for clarification, how do you want to transmit the data? Is this over the network? or is your controller plugged in via USB to your desired computer? 

Specifically, how often are you trying to send data to the LabVIEW computer? Are you sending it as you record it or in buffered batches?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,421 Views)

I want to transmit data over USB. The controller is plugged into my computer via USB.

The documentation for the controller says the LabVIEW driver uses the Modbus communication protocol. I have tried using the Platinum libraries but was unable to even run simple serial commands. 

I have tried changing the settings on the controller and the parameters within the VI's and neither has yielded any results. 

As far as transfer, I want to do what is quickest to implement for the time being. Continuous would be nice to have but if the data was transferred once every few hours that would suffice. I do not need the data from every second of the time I am recording, because I will be recording over multiple days.

Thanks for your help. Sorry for not checking for a reply sooner.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,407 Views)

Can you run the stand-alone platinum software and make sure that the temperature controllers are actually working properly?

Also I was looking at the LabVIEW drivers, and it looks like its a stand-alone application. Are you saying that this application does not work at all?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,395 Views)

I was able to get my application running the way that I want to.

But, now I have another problem.

Basically what I have done is created code that reads the temperature from my controller and writes it to delimited spreadsheet. The problem that I am having is that for the time being I am only writing the temperature data.

I would like to create time data and include that in the delimited spreadsheet but I am unsure what is the best way to generate this time data. It would be suffice for my program to check my computer's current time and then write that data. 

I am using a modified version of the Omega Platinum Modbus Library, more specifically the VI Controller Test. Any suggestions?

As a part of that VI I am using the Modbus Read, Write Delimited Spreadsheet, and more VI's. 

Unfortunately my license recently expired so until I get a renewal key from my University IT Department I cannot show you what I mean. But, will keep an eye on this forum and let you know about my progress.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,333 Views)

And to make my last reply more clear, I am no longer using the Platinum Configurator software provided by Omega. I am using the Platinum Modbus LabVIEW Library provided by Omega. The VI's in the library work for me I am now trying to make changes to them so that they fit my needs. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,331 Views)

Have you tried using the Get Date/Time In Seconds vi? You should be able to just call that and store the data whenever a data point is recorded.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,330 Views)

Okay I will try that and get back to you.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,323 Views)

So I can use the get date/time seconds VI. But, I would like to write both the temperature data and the time data to the same delimited spreadsheet. How do I construct 2D data s that I can use the write to delimited spreadsheet VI?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,320 Views)

Take a look at this example, I think it is doing something similar to what you want.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Program-Drafts/Write-Multiple-Columns-With-Write-to-Spreadsheet-Fil...

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,318 Views)