Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Data from Host cRIO FPGA Target to EtherCAT FPGA Targets

I have a setup that I thought was going to be very easy and straightforward, but now that I've gotten started, I'm not sure I can do what I set out to do.  Here is the scenario:

I have a cRIO-9045 populated with primarily Input C-modules.  I have two cRIO-9145 EtherCAT expansion chassis with an identical set of output C-modules.  The task is that the 9045 is to read an array of sensors, then output the same values to two separate systems.  We went with FPGA-based hardware as we wanted it to be fast, reliable, and require no user interaction to function.

I have the outputs in both 9145s working just fine by using user-defined variables as their inputs.  I wrote VIs that I compiled and downloaded to their FPGA Targets as I want them to run immediately on power-on.  Based on examples, I created a VI on the RT side of the 9045 to sample the data and write it to the 9145's user-defined variables.  However, I need this to run as "hands-off" as possible and would rather write code to compile and download to the 9145's FPGA.  This is where my problem exists as I cannot write to the 9145 user-defined variables from a 9045 FPGA Target; I can only read them.  I tried looking into peer-to-peer FIFO, but it appears my combination of hardware doesn't support that style FIFO.

Am I missing some other sort of data communication method between chassis?  As far as I can tell, the only way to send/receive data from the EtherCAT chassis is to use user-defined variables.  Any suggestions?

-Warren

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(882 Views)