Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library errors using network variables

Solved!
Go to solution
I am trying to use shared variables for my CVI real time program, but everytime I try to make any call to a CNVwhatever function, it errors out saying it failed opening the library. I am running CVI 8.5 with all of the most updated drivers. I've uninstalled an reinstalled all the Software onto my PXI-8106 twice now. The most updated Shared Variables software is also installed on the RT machine. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,518 Views)

Let me explain my setup in more detail. I'm trying to run the example NetworkVariableRT and my real-time system is a PXI-8106 with the following software components installed:
LabVIEW Real-Time 8.5
LabWindows Network Variable for RT 8.5.0
LabWindows Run-Time Engine for RT 8.5.0
Network Variable Enigne 1.4.0
Variable client Support for LabView RT 1.4.0

Whenever the program has to call a function from the Network Variables library, like CNVCreateReader, it produces an error saying -6398 Could not load the library DLL.  I've tried everything I can think of with no success, does anyone have any advice?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,496 Views)

Hello Mark,

Thank you for contacting National Instruments.  I have started to look into this issue and I am wondering if you can get me a screenshot of the error that you are receiving. This will help me further troubleshoot this issue and determine why the error is occurring.  In the mean time here is a knowledgebase article that addresses a possible error that may be what you are receiving and a few different possible solutions.  Here is another article that may help.  Please let me know if you have any further questions after looking through this information and I will be happy to assist you.  I hope this helps!  Have a great day!

Thanks!
Bob H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,487 Views)

Thank you for the reply. The error I'm getting is in my LabWindows/CVI compiler, and I don't believe is being caused by a bad NI-RT.ini file. I linked a screenshot of the error-in-action. Thanks!

http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=netverrornp8.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,485 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark_Dewey

Hello Mark,

I found some documentation that describes this error and it gave a possible solution that I would like you to try:

The -6398 error is thrown because LabWindows/CVI is looking for the 8.5.1 version of the DLL on the RT system and it can only find version 8.5.0. To workaround this problem, follow the steps below:

1. Open the <National Instruments>\RT Images\CVI\8.5 directory.
  2. Rename the file ninetvR.dll to ninetvR.dll.old.
  3. Download the attached ninetvR.dll file to the <National Instruments>\RT Images\CVI\8.5 directory.
  4. Open Measurement & Automation Explorer
  5. Expand the Remote Systems category.
  6. Expand the RT target.
  7. Right-click on the Software item and select Add/Remove Software.
  8. Select the LabWindows/CVI Network Variable for RT item in the installer tree of the LabVIEW Real-Time Software Wizard,
  9. Click the icon next to this entry and select Reinstall this feature. Click Next.
  10. In the Review Selections dialog, ensure the entries are correct and then click Next.
  11. Reboot the system.
  12. After the RT system reboots, network variable functions should work.
I had to post the file as a .zip file even though it is a dll.  So please download the file and change the extension back to .dll
Please let me know if you have any further questions while implementing this solution.  I hope this helps!

Thanks!
Bob H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 5 of 5
(3,464 Views)