Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV 2014 (with FPGA Module) runs out of memory while opening/saving a VI

Hello All,

Here is my problem in a nutshell:

When I try to open a SubVI that I have created, LabView runs out of memory and crashes. My system specs are below:

- LabView 2014 32 bit

- LabView Real-Time and FPGA Modules Installed (2014)

- NI RIO 14.0 Installed

- Windows 7 (64 bit)

- 32GB of RAM on my computer

I look at resource manager in Windows, and see that while LabView opens the VI, it uses up to 3.9GB of memory before crashing (since it is a 32 bit version of LabView, I am limited to ~4G of virtual memory). The same problem occurs when I try to: a) generate intermediate files, and b) Build the top level VI.

I suspect this problem is due to the fact that the top level VI has SubVIs that are kind of large (there are 5 SubVIs that are between 250 and 520 kilobytes each). The .lvproj file is 17.8MB in size, largely due to the fact that it uses a large number of memory items and registers. Unfortunately (for reasons I will elaborate on later if anybody is interested), I cannot reduce the number of register or memory items used in the project. But having said that, I cannot imagine why LabView needs more than 4GB of virtual memory to perform these operations (open/save the VI, generate intermediate files, etc). Any pointers would be greatle appreciated. Thanks!

Best,

Aditya

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,109 Views)

Hi Aditya,

Does this happen with other LabVIEW projects? Would it be possible for us to see a screenshot of the error you receive before LabVIEW crashes?

Regards,

Jordan G.

LabVIEW Product Marketing Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,074 Views)

Hello Jordan,

Thanks for your reply. No, this crash does not occur with smaller LV projects. The FPGA target is configured with a large number (1914) or U64 registers. This VI essentially has 33 cases in a case structure. Each case reads 58 unique register items and outputs a cluster of size 58. Obviously, 33x58 = 1914. I can explain the reasons for this weird implementation if you are interested. Before the crash, LV uses about 200MB if memory. At the time of the crash, it is ~4GB.

I've attached two screenshots:

a) before crash, and b) after_crash.

Please let me know if you need any other details. Thanks again.

Best,

Aditya

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,065 Views)

Hi Aditya,

Is this a fresh install or an upgrade of LabVIEW 2014?

Regards,

Jordan G.

LabVIEW Product Marketing Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,035 Views)