Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorporating DAQ card for precise timing

Hi,
    Since good timing resolution in Windows is a hectic and seems to me now to be an impossible job, I am thinking about using the DAQ as a timer in my labview program. The timer's job will be to provide me with real time with millisecond accuracy. The tick count function doesn't provide me with that accuracy, it keeps adding 15 to 16 milliseconds to the actual data acquisition time at each acquisition. Hence, the error piles up and gets to be huge.

Now I wrote a program In C++ and incorporated that into the program using CIN (code interface node, a function in labview), still the counter adds about 3 to 4 milliseconds to each data acquisition time. When ran by itself, the C++ program can report time with 1/3 of a millisecond resolution. I used the <time provider> class. Since the DAQ is quite capable of much greater timing resolution, I was wondering if I could somehow use the card as a timing device.

The DAQ card that I have is a NI PCI-6229 and the physical terminal corresponding to that DAQ card is BNC 2110. I am using labview 8.0, the OS is windows XP, the CPU is a 2.40 GHz Intel dual core and the RAM is 2.GB

I will appreciate it very much if anybody has any solution or knows a precise method for doing that and posts it here. Thanks for your time. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(3,107 Views)