Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add more variables to a read/write control?

Solved!
Go to solution

See how the read/write control is connected to the global variables? I would like to add more variables, I've created the globals (some are shown in the picture above) but as you can see they are not available in the read/write control. How do I add them? I also tried to create a new read/write control, but as you can see that does not help.

Any assistance would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(6,339 Views)

Should have mentioned this VI is for a real-time (RT) microprocessor for an FPGA.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(6,333 Views)

Also, the original file (which is just the same thing minus the smaller r/w control and the new variables) was part of the tutorial. It is one file in a big project. I am trying to modify it. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(6,318 Views)

Sorry to keep adding to my post but this file is LV2011.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(6,315 Views)

Just checking the obvious: Did you add the desired controls to your FPGA VI?

LabVIEW 2012 32 bit

I am not an expert!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(6,308 Views)

Hi count3r5tr1ke,

To add new variables to the read/write control, you will need to add new controls onto the front panel of the FPGA VI. This will populate the read/write control accordingly. Global variables that are created will not show up on the read/write control so this is expected behavior. I hope this helps!

Tannerite
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(6,276 Views)

Thanks BillTür and tannerite for your suggestions, I added the controls to FPGA.vi as well as RT Microprocessor.vi. I added them as a cluster as well as individually, but they still don't appear, even after closing labview and restarting the computer. I've attached these files. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(6,265 Views)

Just a few things to check (which I can't without the project):

- Make sure you have all your VIs and type defs added to the project and under the correct target (you want the RT one to be on the RT machine, the FPGA on the FPGA; check on top of your menu bar).

- After you add new controls or indicators to your FPGA VI save the VI, they should now pop up in the host VI.

If you still can't see those controls, you could post your project in here so we can check..

LabVIEW 2012 32 bit

I am not an expert!
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(6,247 Views)

The organization of the project seems all right to me, because this project was originally the tutorial for the RIO evaluation kit, and I followed the tutorial and made sure it worked. I am trying to modify the tutorial by adding my controls. There are about 50 of them, I added them to FPGA.vi, RT Microprocessor.vi and Windows UI.vi both as a cluster called "Current Values" and individually. I actually did the host VI first, so my variables showed up in the cluster as shown in the picture below. The smaller "unbundle by name" is the original one from the tutorial. The larger one shows the original variables plus all of mine (only some shown in the pic), which is what I'm trying to do in the read/write control. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(6,238 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author count3r5tr1ke

Hi count3r5tr1ke,

It looks like you are referencing a particular bitfile in the open FPGA reference. I believe that even when you save your FPGA VI, the Real-Time VI is still referencing an older bitfile. Have you tried re-compiling and referencing the new bitfile once the compilation has completed? A safe way to make sure you have the most up-to-date bitfile is to check the VI option when you right-click on the Open FPGA reference and select Configure Open FPGA Reference. When this option is checked, if you make changes to the FPGA code, it will force you to re-compile the FPGA VI before referencing it on the Real-Time side.

Warm Regards,

Tannerite
National Instruments
Message 10 of 14
(6,220 Views)