Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I open/close COM port for IC-3120?

Solved!
Go to solution

I want to connect a sensor with Industrial Controller(IC)-3120 product through RS232 communication.

There exist some basic VI examples for serial communication for LabVIEW and most of them use VISA to configure, read/write and close the serial port.

What I want to know is that should I also use VISA in order to open and close the serial port for IC-3120 product? or should I use different way?

Sincererly,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(923 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jwhong

Short answer, use VISA. It is the recommended API for communicating with a number of interfaces, including serial. The fact that you are using an Industrial Controller does not change that. The shipping LabVIEW examples are a good starting point.

David C
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(918 Views)

Hello,

I sincerely appreciate for your earnest answer.

It was the very first time that I tried to use RS232 communication with IC-3120 product.

So I was wonder if there is specific way to use serial communication with that product.

Thanks to your advice, I could make VI for obtaining sensor data with IC-3120.

Again, I appreciate for your great help, and I hope wonderful events are waiting for you and your family in this new year.

Happy new year!

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(837 Views)

Hello,

I sincerely appreciate for your earnest answer.

It was the very first time that I tried to use RS232 communication with IC-3120 product.

So I was wonder if there is specific way to use serial communication with that product.

Thanks to your advice, I could make VI for obtaining sensor data with IC-3120.

Again, I appreciate for your great help, and I hope wonderful events are waiting for you and your family in this new year.

Happy new year!

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(828 Views)