Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert dbfs to dbm for NI USRP 2901

Solved!
Go to solution

How do you convert digital power in dbfs to analog power in dbm at the receiver end in NI USRP.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,559 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sachin_mohan

There is NO standard way or equation to convert DBFS to DBm. dBfs is not an absolute measure than can be converted universally to voltage. You must know the voltage equivalent of 'full scale'. Convert it to Volts, then turn it to DBm with standard conversion for RF signals.  

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,498 Views)

Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me how to find the voltage equivalent of full scale and also to get the value in dBm once i know this voltage equivalent, is just adding +30 to the resultant power right?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,432 Views)

The full scale Voltage is described eighter in documentation of your device or in the code itself (it depends). Have a look there to find it out. The level of 0 dBFS is assigned to the maximum possible digital level. For example, a signal that reaches 50% of the maximum level has a level of −6 dBFS, which is 6 dB below full scale. So, it's logarithmic unit, and adding +30 to it, won't convert to dBm. 

BTW, I don't really understand the reason behind that conversion. DBFS is designed for Digital signals, and dBm is for Analog ones. Why do you want to convert from one to another?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,425 Views)

I am actually transmitting a qpsk signal from one USRP to another. I measured the signal power before entering the receiver USRP using a spectrum analyzer. Now, at the receiver end, I collect IQ samples in the PC and I want to ccompare the power at the receiver section with the power of the signal before entering the receiver. So I am doing an average of squares of magnitudes of received samples. But this power is digital power right. I need to cinvert it into analog power to compare the two powers. 

I hope I am clear.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,421 Views)

Also if I am collecting the IQ sample values in the PC, do they directky represent the voltage level or is there any conversion to be done? 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,419 Views)

They do. But there are numerous amplifiers and attenuators in your instrument. You must look at datasheets to find out how the real amplitude is changed during receiving the signal 😄 

So yes, better to compare signal intensity to IQ intensity to get comparison between them. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,415 Views)

I'm experiencing this problem too. How can I convert transmitter power dB to dBm on USRP? Did you find any solution? 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(1,381 Views)