Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed on purchasing correct device

Hello guys,

I'm currently a coop student working in a laboratory, so a lot of National instruments is very new to me.

I need some help finding the correct device to buy. With my current setup, I have 2 xy Aerotech stages, that move on input from a LabVIEW program. I have a shutter that I would like to open when the stages cross certain positions in the xy-plane, that can be changed on LabVIEW. I can't just use the position that the stages show in the LabView program as they go through packets through the USB. There is too large a delay from when the stage is moved, to the coordinate being sent to the computer through USB to LabVIEW, to then the command being given to open the shutter. I need something faster. 

The Aerotech stages have a voltage analog output which i can connect a wire to. It ranges from -10V to 10V depending on a linear correlation as to where the Aerotech stage is in respect to the origin of the stage. I need a device that in real time, can take an analog input between -10V to 10V, can process the voltage, and if it's passed a certain threshold, for a digital output voltage of 5V (as an example) to be applied, if not, 0 volts. I'm hoping that this system can have enough memory to do this fast on it's own, without referring to the computer. And for the threshold to be easily changeable through LabView.

I've been looking around, and found several NI devices that seem to fit the job. None of them though i can seem to find if they'll be able to do the calculation directly/memory specs. The three i found are the following:

NI-9381
USB-6008
PC-6010

I was hoping for input if any of these fit my goal better than others, or if there's something i missed in this. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,172 Views)

If you want something that will work on its own, then you are looking at using something that either uses an RealTime OS and/or an FPGA.  This will require having LabVIEW RT and/or LabVIEW FPGA.

Personally, I would go for a myRIO.  It is meant for academic use, but you can buy it at a commercial rate.  It has a Linux RT controller that you can program with LabVIEW RT and an FPGA backplane for the IO, which you can get away without programming using the Scan Engine.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,135 Views)