From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

ROS for LabVIEW(TM) Software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supervisory controlling a ROS bot

In a project it is my task to supervisory control different types of robots to do predefined operations like cleaning or taking measurements. The robots have no camera, should avoid delicate objects, work in sync next to other robots and not enter forbidden area. That is why the motion-patterns are planned beforehand (position, time) like in an orchestration. In an accurate positionable waterspraying robot application for a cheese-factory I did earlier, this works well (8 bots).

The problem I have is that one of the slave robots is running ROS and as I understand it ROS solutions are not really designed to be treated as a slave. Besides, it runs obstacle prevention algo’s by going around unknown obstacles and it does sensor-fusion to get a better estimate of the position.

ROS for LabVIEW seems like a good starting-point and I am glad to find a possible solution of getting live data.

Do you have any tips/ideas for me on supervisory controlling this slave ROS robot?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,353 Views)

I'm now looking at the option of sniffing the communication of the ROS robot. This appears to be possible in LabVIEW thanks to http://www.ni.com/example/27660/en/. This would give me the option of logging and displaying data without extra loading the master, but takes some message decoding.

Besides supervisory control, status and data presentation/logging is one of the other tasks the sw. should do.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,336 Views)

I somehow expected a reaction. Sometimes one expects just too much.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,297 Views)